Finger spool repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I couldn't afford what would be my hourly rate to "fix" that spool.... too many other things I'd really be interested in doing with my time.

Reactions: Zef
I'd keep them handy and sitting on some 400 grit sandpaper. Any given day I might not want to work on them, but my calendar is no where near so full that I wouldn't have days come along where I could put some time into them while listening to a scuba podcast or similar. A couple of those days or one really good podcast and they'd be knocked out.

I also vote to rinse after use and not worry about the anodizing. I mean, we are on a forum that has put a few bazillion brushed AL80s and AL40s in the ocean without dying. And most without rinsing the actual tanks. I suspect your spool will survive a long time if rinsed. Besides, patina is half the game of looking like a weathered old timer.

with extended exposure to salt water it can......but if you rinse it, its usually just fine...

were also not talking about structural or load bearing equipment here....a tiny amount of surface corrosion on a spool isnt going to kill anyone.

fwiw, my dive light handle is raw uncoated 6061.....has seen salt water with regular rinsing and is doing just fine.
View attachment 600118
no.....thats the point.....

youll either lose it, buy a new one or retire from diving long before its likely to become an issue.
I guess I’m overthinking it. Dude, that’s one heck of a light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom