Finding a vest/hood combo that works

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bare says they make a 3mm hooded vest - the LDS only had the 7mm in stock when I was shopping.

If I was considering the Bare 7mm (and I was, but purchased a 7mm Pinnacle - with the 3mm Pinnacle hooded vest, its very warm in high 60's/low 70's water) - I would look into this option.

IMO, a 7mm suit, PLUS a 7mm hooded vest underneath is to much even though they say it can be done. No wonder its constricting.

This is the route I'd consider before getting rid of your suit. I think you would find that you would be almost as warm, but still able to breathe!

........IMO, a 7mm suit, PLUS a 7mm hooded vest underneath is to much even though they say it can be done. No wonder its constricting.
This is the route I'd consider before getting rid of your suit. I think you would find that you would be almost as warm, but still able to breathe!

The Bare hooded vest is a step in (it has shorty legs) made to go over the full wetsuit. I could not see wearing it underneath, it's too think and bulky, especially in the legs. It does work well this way

I was told to wear it underneath by the LDS - obviously, I did not as it did not seem comfortable; purchased the Pinnacle 7mm - still think a thinner vest - 2 or 3mm - worn underneath could solve his problem.

I dive in FL and when the water gets to 70, as it does for a few months in the winter, I freeze on the 2nd dive - the 7mm Pinnacle w/ the 3mm vest keeps me warm, but I realize we are talking water +/- 20 degrees colder here.

Jupiter31 those 20deg make a big difference. Your coldest 70 is still 2 deg warmer than my warmest at Catalina this summer at 68. Sunday Catalina was 55 and still dropping. When I lived in Key Largo I complained about 70, but I won't ever again.

I am now diving SoCal in a 7mm jumpsuit w/ 7mm sleeveless shorty underneath and a 7 mm hood...similar to the Elemeno123s layers. I also wear a polyolefin skin which helps a bit. Once the suit is wet and i've warmed it up and as long as I keep moving then I'm not cold. This might not be enough for Monterrey. All that said, I just ordered a drysuit.

Elemeno123, if one of your pieces is uncomfortable, get it altered at one of the local custom wetsuit places. BTW, A good custom wetsuit is usually no more expensive than a good namebrand wetsuit. The better the fit to YOUR body, the warmer the suit, regardless of the brand. Also try filling your suit with warmwater just before you enter the water is another trick that can help. If you will be submerged long periods or repetitively, consider a drysuit. On a student budget you can probably find a used drysuit or try renting one.

Stay warm and Good luck with your studies.

I just wanted to thank everyone for the feedback and suggestions. They were really useful. I talked to Otter Bay Wetsuit and they said they could do some alterations. I think I should be able to get away with just altering/replacing the hood and trying to break in the fullsuit a little more. Cheers.

If you're sure you would only be using this for a class.... how about just renting?

Wetsuit rentals are cheap. Depending on how many days you need it, it may be best to just find a shop with a different brand suit and rent it. Diff brands are cut diff. Not all Mediums are created equal for example.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom