Finding a Mask that really fits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A.G.Pennypacker

Registered
Reaction score
Lets see..I've been diving now for off and on for twenty years and have yet to find a mask that really fits my face. It may be the hardest piece of equipment to get right. I currently have two, the Oceanic Shadow (tested great in LDS but unless I am clean shaven that day..experience some leakage during the dive and Scubapro Framless, fit well in LDS but is just a little to wide across the temples and do experience some leakage at that point. My face is on the small side and probably need one with a width of somewhere between 4.7 and 4.9 inches across. I prefer a framless design and has to be black (photographer). I looked into two choices, back to the Oceanic Shadow (micro) they have gone to a two window framless design but the width seems right and the Zeagle Ebon. The Ebon is a framed mask and has gotten excellent reviews and is hard to find out our local dive shops (live in St Pete, Fl). Anyone have any experience with these two possible considerations? If so what were the pros and cons? Any suggestions for my conundrum ?

When in the LDS?

Masks are often the hardest thing to fit.

Maybe one day we will have custom fit mask skirts.

I have trouble finding a mask that fits too. None of the low volume or frameless ones that I've tried even come close.

Believe it or not some of the cheapest masks on the market are the ones that fit me the best like some of the masks from scubamax or H2odyssey. I prefer as black skirt and send them out to have prescription lenzes put in and they work great for 1/3 the price of many other masks on the market.

You can also use a regulator but it is important to test the mask fit with something in your mouth.

The regulator mouthpiece changes the shape of your face so trying with reg or snorkel may cause you to choose a different mask.

Back in 1977 when I first started the best mask I could find was a USD Tri-Window with purge valve. I tried it without the purge valve but the constant seepage was a pain so I opened up the purge. I dove with that mask for more than 12 years.

Now I have a Cressi Big Eyes and when I bought it the newest model year mask did not fit as well as the older one. I bought the older one and have had great service from it.

Good luck.

I am serious about the possibility of custom fitted masks. It would be fairly simple for a special effects makeup artist to make a skirt that was molded to your face and would fit exactly. The cost might be significant.
Maybe I better put together an order to Monster Makers. :D

Try the TUSA platina. I have a narrow face and full beard and it works very well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom