Finding a cheaper way to get to COZ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everyone for the tips.
I do watch Kayak and have price alerts set up. Plus the ITA-matrix.
Cancun won't work because my wife and I are traveling one week apart and she would be totally lost unless it is direct.
Don, thanks again for all the suggestions. I have to fly out of LAX. It is only 15 minutes from the house and we use a taxi to the airport ($50). Ontario and John Wayne airports are just to far out to make it worthwhile.
Anyway we have been approved for vacation October 21 to November 5. So would like to get out LA either Friday night or Saturday October 21/22 and then return either November 3 or 4.
My wife would come over Fri/Sat October 29/30 and we return together on Nov3 or 4.
Gave up watching Continental for the 4 months and now looking at Delta.

Don, thanks again for all the suggestions. I have to fly out of LAX. It is only 15 minutes from the house and we use a taxi to the airport ($50).
$50 for a 15 minute cab ride? And folks complain about the $8 shuttle ride to their hotel from the airport on Cozumel! :D

Yes $50 either way, sometimes only $47 from the airport to the house. then there is the 15% tip that is expected. Still is cheaper than trying to park anywhere near the airport, usually $10 a day for outdoor parking and up, way up. So I never complain about the $8 shuttle ride from COZ airport to the BA.

Tom, it also never hurts to phone Orbitz for help as their agents are nice and there is no charge. I'm sure they are better than me. Orbitz doesn't make anything on plane tickets tho so expect to be offered things you do not want, like poor quality insurance, overpriced ground transfers, etc.

It doesn't hurt to phone the suspected airline either as they only charge if they find something you think worth buying. You might even avoid those fees by going thru an airline's E-help department. Airline booking sites are devious with booby traps tho!
titanic.gif

Thanks everyone for the tips.
I do watch Kayak and have price alerts set up. Plus the ITA-matrix.
Cancun won't work because my wife and I are traveling one week apart and she would be totally lost unless it is direct.
Don, thanks again for all the suggestions. I have to fly out of LAX. It is only 15 minutes from the house and we use a taxi to the airport ($50). Ontario and John Wayne airports are just to far out to make it worthwhile.
Anyway we have been approved for vacation October 21 to November 5. So would like to get out LA either Friday night or Saturday October 21/22 and then return either November 3 or 4.
My wife would come over Fri/Sat October 29/30 and we return together on Nov3 or 4.
Gave up watching Continental for the 4 months and now looking at Delta.
Those seem to be the best sites to work with. It looks like Delta on 22nd LAX 10:55p to CZM 12:37pm = 11h 32m and return on 3rd leaving at 12:37p, over 3 hours for I&C, back 10:30p with 11h for $509 is cheapest, or go on 21st and/or return on 4th for some more. I'm sure you want to leave LAX on the latest flights for a good nap. It looks like your wife can get similar flights on 23/29 and 3/4 and maybe no extra charge for returning on 4th, maybe not for you either if you play with it?

A good piece of info can be obtained from an airline by calling to ask: "IF the seats were available for the cheapest inventories on the flights, what is the lowest cost I might be able to find?" Then if you find it, grab it as I doubt the airlines will come down as fast as gas prices when the insanity ends.
$50 for a 15 minute cab ride? And folks complain about the $8 shuttle ride to their hotel from the airport on Cozumel! :D
He could take Super Shuttle there for less I bet.

You guys in California can get there cheaper and easier than I can you know.

blue steel, have you checked out Virgin America? They have non-stops LAX-CUN. Not sure about current prices, but a friend of mine flew them a few weeks ago and had nothing but great things to say about the airline.

blue steel, have you checked out Virgin America? They have non-stops LAX-CUN. Not sure about current prices, but a friend of mine flew them a few weeks ago and had nothing but great things to say about the airline.
:shakehead:

super shuttle and Prime time and I think their is a couple of other shuttle options, but they are often late on the pick up and then what should be a 15 minute ride becomes an hour to hour and half with several other pick ups.
Price is about $35-$38, not worth the extra time and possibility of being late to the airport.

Hey Don, I've been using the Matrix software keeping an eye on the dates for the Cozumel Invasion, prices are around $700 bucks for me right now, went up to $788 today last time I checked.

I'm kind of picky though, I just can't do the 18 hour travel days that take the costs down to mid $600s.

Seems to be just bad timing right now, for all the things you mentioned regarding the airlines oil... etc...

Back
Top Bottom