Finding a cheaper way to get to COZ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blue steal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
It looks like Continental/United has raised their prices quite a bit from last year and now have stopped service from Los Angeles on Monday, tuesday, and Thursday.
I need to find a decent price, (less than $600 would work), without a long layover, like 16 hours.
Willing to try other airlines but don't want the 40 minute switch between planes/terminals.
Don't want to do the bag drag from Cancun, the wife would not like that at all.
Any suggestions out there.:idk:

Let me know too. Flights from Denver to Coz are running about $700 a person for me too.

Can you sell your wife the bag drag only on the way down? We're south of you in San Diego. Because our airport has closed hours every night our options are limited getting down there with the late start for connections. Homeward is easy. So we sometimes Fly into CUN and out of CZM on a multi city booking. The good thing is it often prices out close to or at a Cancun round trip cost. Usually cheaper than CZM round trip. The good news is also that CUN to CZM air service has been restarted by Maya Air I believe it's called. So it's an option as well. The bag drag sucks, but its tolerable on one leg if necessary.

Good luck
Rich

If you don't mind the extra bus ride, flying into Cancun, making the drive south and then taking the ferry over is an option. It normally doesn't save a lot of money but if the ticket prices are high enough it might be worth it.

Last edited:
I have got to start replying to such posts with only Can you provide possible dates, airports and other needs...??
It looks like Continental/United has raised their prices quite a bit from last year and now have stopped service from Los Angeles on Monday, tuesday, and Thursday.
I need to find a decent price, (less than $600 would work), without a long layover, like 16 hours.
Willing to try other airlines but don't want the 40 minute switch between planes/terminals.
Don't want to do the bag drag from Cancun, the wife would not like that at all.
Any suggestions out there.:idk:
Well, when can be almost as important as where in shopping for fares, along with how many nights, specific departure airports you'd consider, and any other flexible or inflexible points. Kayak and Matrix - ITA Software both have excellent searching tools for spanning weeks and limiting specifics, but it's become a real price gouging market for the airlines.

Continental no longer competes with United so we have one less big player in the big game, whether the latter went to CZM or not - I dunno. The flow of oil has not decreased in these newsworthy times and the price of oil is down, but speculators, mostly uneducated gamblers maybe playing with spare money based on what they heard at a bar or some other questions sources, are running up Oil Futures overall. The airlines do have to plan long range activities with planes, crews, support, gates, etc. based on Futures so they are cool to bump prices based on that kind of news - just not eager to come back down when Futures drop. Making money is the game; planes are just some of the tools.

Shopping around for my own possible options, I looked at costs of getting as far as Houston - and Continental is charging over $500 RT from Amarillo to IAH on most dates in late August for example. That is absurd for a 90 minute flight! The only cheaper alternative seems to be American, Wednesdays only? :confused: I am amazed. Continental will do it for under $400 only if I return on Sunday, regardless of when I want to go. I wonder if they really have any idea what they are doing in this merger?

A few adventurous souls do drive around the Gulf, mostly to transport house goods I think, but that probly wouldn't work for you either. 1633 miles to Brownsville TX, then maybe another 1,000 around to PDC - Mapquest doesn't plan that part, then the car ferry over to save parking fees in PDC. :silly: Up for adventure? Only cops, soldiers and banditos are allowed to carry guns.

Now that Delta and Northwest have more or less completed their merger, they're not doing me much good, but they may be your best bet: Midnight flight over the US, 4 hour breakfast in Atlanta, arrive CZM for a late lunch; a week later, early lunch to catch the 1:37pm out of CZM, over 3 hours for I&C and dinner in Atlanta, then non-stop over much of the US again, back into LAX at 10:30pm all for $509 including all taxes and fees.

Any of that help your thinking any? Maybe we need to start a Facebook page about Oil speculators are going to lose everything the way they are playing!

Let me know too. Flights from Denver to Coz are running about $700 a person for me too.
So when would you like to go exactly, and any other specifics? I see DEN-CZM for $428 to $495 all over July.

Ok Don - oh sage of the skies....

I know it's a ways off, but looking at our trip in November. Departing either LAX or ONT on Wed 16 after 8 pm, or Thurs 17 super early - we want to be in Coz as soon as possible on the 17th, but my daughter will have school on Wed daytime. Returning Wed 23 (gotta be home to cook the turkey).

ONT is much closer, smaller and better, but I'm not seeing the old flight that used to leave at 12:30 am and arrive CZM before noon - all are showing a 12-24 hour travel time. From LAX, I'm seeing Delta at just over $500 with an 11.5 hour outbound and a 10 hour return. Are you seeing anything different, or are you aware of other options? This info was from Kayak.

Thanks!

Tom

Ok Don - oh sage of the skies....

I know it's a ways off, but looking at our trip in November. Departing either LAX or ONT on Wed 16 after 8 pm, or Thurs 17 super early - we want to be in Coz as soon as possible on the 17th, but my daughter will have school on Wed daytime. Returning Wed 23 (gotta be home to cook the turkey).

ONT is much closer, smaller and better, but I'm not seeing the old flight that used to leave at 12:30 am and arrive CZM before noon - all are showing a 12-24 hour travel time. From LAX, I'm seeing Delta at just over $500 with an 11.5 hour outbound and a 10 hour return. Are you seeing anything different, or are you aware of other options? This info was from Kayak.

Thanks!

Tom
It's great to plan ahead, set up fare alerts, etc. then hope the airline doesn't cancel your flight once booked. With this merger, hard to say.

I see that Delta plan: 11/16 - 10:55pm - 12:27pm on 11/17 = 11h 32m

11/23 - 1:37pm - 10:30pm = 10h 53m for $509 (there is one that says it'll get you back around 8:50pm if you survive the connection with less than 2 hours! :no: )

Looks like Delta only can do the ONT flights but you wouldn't want to pay $829-904. :eyebrow: Well, Cont has flights but not leaving late; have to leave the next day and arrive on the 18th, over 21 hours travel time. :(

Oh wait, here is Cont/United: ONT 7:57p - CZM 11:38a

CZM 12:30p - ONT 7:48p if you don't mind $723 and an extra stop in San Francisco

Hope that helps some. Sign up for fare alerts at least, on all that looks good.

Back
Top Bottom