Financing Scuba gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cburgert

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I read a post earlier about financing scuba gear. I don't mind paying the interest later on down the road, I'm more concerned about buying the last couple pieces of gear I need. I just would like to know how should I go about it. Do I have to go through my local dive shop, or bank?​

If you have to finance dive gear you can't afford it. Either save for it or buy less expensive gear.

What are the last couple pieces you need?

Buy things that fit your budget. Consider used gear offered here on Scubaboard classifieds, ebay, Craigslist, etc. There are good deals to be had, because people get into diving, buy expensive gear, get bored with the sport after a few years, and sell all their gear. Save up money, then buy.

Octo and console. I have everything thing else, but I'm tired of renting gear and I don't want to wait until the middle of May. I guess I could just rent a few more times.

I read a post earlier about financing scuba gear. I don't mind paying the interest later on down the road, I'm more concerned about buying the last couple pieces of gear I need. I just would like to know how should I go about it. Do I have to go through my local dive shop, or bank?​

I would recommend looking into second hand gear. The 2nd hand market for gear is very good. There is obviously a lot of worn out crap out there but there is a lot of fairly new gear available 2nd hand as well from people who didn't use it much.

If you get some help evaluating what you see and you have a bit of patience then you can assemble a full set of give gear for a fraction of the cost of buying it new.

R..

Good advice here on looking for decent used stuff, like I did (still do). For $75 on Kijiji (a Canadian Craigslist I guess) I got two AL 80 tanks years ago that I still use.

If you're on FB, there's a very good Scuba Swap & Shop group that has lots of deals

Back
Top Bottom