Finances and Tec Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I'm not a tech diver, but may eventually go into it, and have researched prices.
First, at least for now, I live in a dirt cheap area. Not bad, just boring. Lower cost of living=more extra money.
Husband and I both work at a good-paying job. With my overtime, we have a combined monthly income of over a few grand. No kids, rent under $1,000, and low utility/grocery bills for 2 people leaves us with a fair amount of disposable income.
Not to mention general budgeting and saving skills, a must for any expensive hobby. I'm a photographer also, thankfully am done buying things for that. For now.

I usually dive local. My gear will be completed when I get my new Dry suit. I've grabbed a set of used tanks and usually a dive costs me 10€ for the fill.

As for technical expeditions, I'm still not trimix, so air only, and it's usually only within a dive club, so we all tend to look for a way to do it cheaper.

Like, what can we drive to, instead of fly. And can we grab a room where we can all fit inside. 😂

My wife and I are retired with pensions and some investments. Our children are in comfortable situations and do not need any financial assistance from us. We do not lead extravagant lifestyles and are generally content with modest pleasures. We avoid the common money traps--for example, being good cooks, we do not waste money on inferior food in everyday restaurants and instead dine out when and where it will be worth the effort and cost. We own a coffee maker and know how to use it, so we don't throw our retirement savings at Starbucks.

In summary, we have a stable, reliable income and know how much money we can afford to spend on life's pleasures. When it comes to making decisions on things like dive trips and gear, I use a simple mathematical formula to ascertain the true cost of the expense in light of our lifestyle. I amortize the cost by dividing the true cost by the number of years I expect to be dead.
I was shocked at the amount of money I saved drinking a cup of coffee at home before work vs getting one at McDonald's.
Maybe I'm bad at math, but how does the number of years you expect to be dead factor into it? Lmao once you're dead, it's forever

Maybe I'm bad at math, but how does the number of years you expect to be dead factor into it? Lmao once you're dead, it's forever
When you divide the true cost of something by a number to get the effective cost for your life, the larger that number by which you are dividing, the lower the effective cost. If you expect to be dead for a long time, it reduces the effective cost of the item significantly.

I remember locals saying I can't believe you bought a custom drysuit that's a lot of money. They are destination divers so flying to resorts. I asked them how much they spend each trip and how many dives when they go. They told and I responded with see I'm doing a lot more dives then you and per dive my drysuit cost is a fraction of your per dive cost.

If your a coffee drinker don't use k cups either, not as bar as Starbucks or dunkin but still many times the cost of just using grounds.

Just curious: How do you balance your finances with as costly a hobby as tec diving?
Avoid trimix. Become a cave diver instead. Even better, become a sump diver and you might not even need a wing.
And for Gods sake, no CCR nor DPV. A lot of tech diving can be done without.
Or do you go with the flow and sign up for trips, courses, etc. so long as your credit card limit would allow it?
You WILL need those courses and you had better to choose good instructors. That's money well spent.
Trips? Can't you do those independently with your tech diving buddy or team?
Obviously the first option requires more discipline, and the ability to say “no” when that super cool trip comes up,
Don't do cool trips. Just fulfill your personal dream. Prioritize.
What is your dream?
or you are invited to be part of that course you always wanted to take.
Do that.
The second option
third
means more diving, but also more giving up of things outside of diving.
The amount of happiness is constant. You have to decide how to distribute it. Now choose.
So in other words, how much of a priority does diving constitute in your life?
1/3 of my leisure time.
If I would get injured and become unable to dive then I would still have 2/3 left.
Rule of thirds :wink:

I’m single with a good paying job and I can do what I like as long as my bills are paid. No spouse or partner to object what I’m spending my $$ on or to “approve.”
It is indeed a personal choice what to play with.
S.C.U.B.A gear or a spouse/partner
Both choices are expensive.
Sell gear you don’t use to fund new purchases.
Or don't buy things you don't actually need.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom