Finances and Tec Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is one of those things that if you have to ask, it is probably not for you. My only excuse: everything that has led up to tech diving/CCR is still cheaper than a sailboat.

I live in an individual room in a very cheap apartment shared with roommates. It's close to work place so I don't own a car. I go grocery shopping with a colleague who has a car. And I split the gas traveling to and from the store with him.
My work place has a gym and a coffee bar so I get my daily coffee/ drinks & gym for free. I pay for my meals though.
Workplace provides supplies and amenities so I don't have to pay for a lot of them. For the amenities I do need to buy, I try to either use store brand ones or see if friend/ colleagues/ roommates have ones they don't want and willing to give me for free.

These habits puts my spending on necessities to be less than 1/2 of my salary. Counting other sources of income, it's about 1/4.

I have a single cylinder set up except for the tank. Stilled accumulated them on the secondhand market. Most are barely used. I usually look for gears that are too cute/pinky for male divers to buy. So I got them at a good deal. I don't keep extra gears around. If I get a new mask, the old one has to go. But often I can sell my used gears for a tiny profit or at least very little loss since I always get them for good price.

For non-local dives, I try to get dives on my work travel. That don't always ensure good dives, but they give me more experience with different conditions. And beyond that, I try to group my dive trips with road trips with family & friends.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom