Finances and Tec Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Get the basics out of the way. A place to live, transportation that is affordable.
I paid for most of my fun with overtime. Work gets thin, I can still live. Just not dive as much.
Save, not debt. If you buy something on a credit card, have the money in the bank to back it. The best way to have money to spend is to not spend what you make to pay the interest on stuff you should not have bought.

Technical diving is much cheaper than most vices over the long term. Dive local and use air until your ready to spend big on deeper dives.

You have other hobbies that are more expensive so when you go diving, you feel like you are saving money :rofl3: These are always tough discussions because you never know what others may consider expensive or what their financial situation might be. All I can say is, survival (mortgage, food, power, water, family) need to come before a hobby like diving. If you can afford both, that’s great but don’t sacrifice needs for wants as it’s going to get you into trouble eventually. On a side note, just because you see someone with everything you would like to have or doing something you would like doesn’t mean they can afford it.

I found a local hole to dive in. I learned to like it. About 1/2 of all my dives are done there. It's free and it's good to knock the dust off. I buy used gear. I can differentiate between wants and needs and what gets me in the water more or down longer.

I always try to ask myself if the something that I'm doing or want to do will get me diving more, or is it just a shiny new toy? Like I got the drysuit 1st, because it got me in more and really opened up the dive season. The computer came later when the finances were better.

I also dont have any vehicle payments. That helps a lot. About 6 more years and the house will be paid for... that'll open up some doors.

I found a local hole to dive in. I learned to like it. About 1/2 of all my dives are done there. It's free and it's good to knock the dust off. I buy used gear. I can differentiate between wants and needs and what gets me in the water more or down longer.

I always try to ask myself if the something that I'm doing or want to do will get me diving more, or is it just a shiny new toy? Like I got the drysuit 1st, because it got me in more and really opened up the dive season. The computer came later when the finances were better.

I also dont have any vehicle payments. That helps a lot. About 6 more years and the house will be paid for... that'll open up some doors.

You’ve got four kids. When do you start paying for college?

I need to start making car payments into a saving account.

I also work on a zero debt system. (Except my mortgage) I do use my credit cards for everything but I pay them off once a week. I then use the rewards for stuff like say wool base layers slippers for me or son etc.

If I want something big I save till I have the money and then buy it.

Other ways to save money, stop drinking especially out you will be amazed how much it is even for occasional drinks, don't eat out, combine all errands into a loop to save gas. Or and this is good for your heath as well, we are about 10 degrees in the morning to cold then all local errands are done on a bike.

If you exhaust resources you don’t have it won’t stay fun.

Time is the equalizer. Instead of doing several trips/classes/gear purchases a year, it may require a year (or 1.5 or 2) per class. It's hard, because each is exciting, but patience is often necessary.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom