Finally think i've decided on steel.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kawboy579

Reaction score
I think that after viewing the arguments on both sides of the issue (lets not debate them again here please), i want a steel tank. I found this one that is lighter than aluminum and seems like it would be ideal for me. Anyone had any experience with these:

Steel Tank

From what I hear the PST tanks are the way to go. Their hot dip galvanized finish is supposed to be extremely tough.

Do some research on the right cylinder for the dive. There is no one best "tank" for the job. I like steel, but mostly dive AL 80's. In spite of their "bad" bouyancy charicteristics they are not difficult to stay neutral with and only have a swing weight of ~ 6-8lbs (depending on whose cylinder and the method of measuring the delta).
Also consider that 80 cuft is a considerable amount of gas and that for most open water dives without involving deco obligations you'll still have gas left before you get to the NDL.
In any case - get what you want and make sure you are happy. But tanks aren't cheap (especially considering the TCO) and I think you want to be careful in your selection. If you provide some criteria for your choice, then maybe we could pipe in with some things to consider.

kawboy579:
So I'd be looking at something like this then:

PST 80

The PST 80 is a nice tank. What do you think about the fact that its rated capacity is @ 3445 PSI? What type of diving will you use this for (primarily)? Do you dive a suit (if so what type(s))?

Helmuth, the tank will be used mostly for diving the great lakes. Im interested in getting into wreck diving, and the reason I like the steel is that i would much rather carry a small bit more weight on a full tank than to have to add several pounds of weight to my BC to compensate for an empty AL. 80 CF aluminum is what i will be diving on trips during the winter months that i usually end up on to Florida or the Caribbean, but in these situations I'm not bringing my personal tank along.

Why not get a bigger steel tank? Say, a 100 cf tank is still smaller than an Al 80.

kawboy579:
Helmuth, the tank will be used mostly for diving the great lakes. Im interested in getting into wreck diving, and the reason I like the steel is that i would much rather carry a small bit more weight on a full tank than to have to add several pounds of weight to my BC to compensate for an empty AL. 80 CF aluminum is what i will be diving on trips during the winter months that i usually end up on to Florida or the Caribbean, but in these situations I'm not bringing my personal tank along.

Do you dive wet or dry?

Are you a small person, will you be diving shallow dives? Just wondering why an 80 for cold water deeper diving. Unless you're pretty small, why wouldn't you want all the BT you can get? Does your dive buddy also have a tiny tank?

Just wondering. Not trying to open a big ol' can o' worms here. Just wondering what drove the decision.

You'll never go wrong with a PST tank, my friend. I'm not big (5-7, 168) and I dive the PST e8-130 waterheater. I wanted mad BT, a tank that will last forever, and one with favorable weighting. For me, it was a no brainer - and I have no regrets. I love this thing.

K

kawboy579:

OK - what is wreck diving like in your area? Will you expect to dive these wrecks without deco obligations? What type of thermal protection will you be using?

jhelmuth:
OK - what is wreck diving like in your area? Will you expect to dive these wrecks without deco obligations? What type of thermal protection will you be using?

In reply to the two previous posts, im 6'0" about 160lbs (dont use much air), and will be diving wet. Right now, im planning on doing some mid-level wrecks, which can be found in lake michigan/huron in around 50-90ft of water. The possibility of deeper dives does exist for later on, which is why i initially wanted a 100CF tank (rated at LP), or a steel that could handle a 3000 psi fill which would give over 85 CF.

Back
Top Bottom