Finally returning to beloved Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bluefish

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
IL/IA (about as far from salt water as you can get
We're finally able to get back to our beloved Keys. We'll be staying in Islamorada. Any suggestions on dive operators? It's been quite a while, so I suppose the places we used to dive with might have changed. What about private dive charters? We're staying at the Cheeca, and I've heard there's a dive shop there. Any opinions on them? I can't seem to find anything online about them. Thanks!

Check out Ocean Quest, located at Smuggler's Cove, MM85.5. Nice people and less cattle-boat-like than most.

Tavenier Dive Center is good. So is Diversity and Quiescence in Key Largo.

Where is the best place to dive in the Keys? Are there any shore dives?

Bluefish:
We're finally able to get back to our beloved Keys. We'll be staying in Islamorada. Any suggestions on dive operators? It's been quite a while, so I suppose the places we used to dive with might have changed. What about private dive charters? We're staying at the Cheeca, and I've heard there's a dive shop there. Any opinions on them? I can't seem to find anything online about them. Thanks!
I think Caribbean Watersports used to be the dive op at Cheeca. They were displaced when Cheeca put in a spa where the dive shop used to be. Rainbow Reef has a dive center with a couple of small boats (including a six passenger vessel) closer to Cheeca at Chesapeake Resort. Ocean Quest is the operator at Smuggler's Cove. Let me know if you want to arrange some dives up in Key Largo during your stay. We typically dive from the Elbow Reef (to the north) to Conch Reef (to the south), and all points between, including the Spiegel Grove, Bibb, and Duane wrecks. Enjoy!

Thanks for the advice everyone. That should be enough to keep us out of trouble!

Brent, thanks for the Cheeca info. Does that mean no more dive op at Cheeca? I've rarely had good luck with on-resort dive shops anyway. I checked out your website. Your boat looks absolutely perfect for diving. I should have checked on Scubaboard before I booked everything! We're only going to be down for a few days, so if we can't fit in Key Largo on this trip, we will definitely move a bit up the road next time so we can dive with you. How do the private charters work? My wife would really like to go that route. PM me if this isn't the place to talk details.

And beachcomber, I don't think you can beat the upper Keys for diving, beginner to advanced. Of course, I dive quarries in the midwest so what do I know!

There really aren't any shore dive locations in the upper keys anyway. I can't say for the other areas, but I doubt it. Most good dive locations are at least a mile offshore. Usually much further.

DennisW:
Tavenier Dive Center is good. So is Diversity and Quiescence in Key Largo.

I just got back from a 4 day trip to Key Largo. We lodged and dove with Quiescence. Friendly staff. We had a great time. I would certainly dive with these folks again.

Bluefish:
Thanks for the advice everyone. That should be enough to keep us out of trouble!

Brent, thanks for the Cheeca info. Does that mean no more dive op at Cheeca? I've rarely had good luck with on-resort dive shops anyway. I checked out your website. Your boat looks absolutely perfect for diving. I should have checked on Scubaboard before I booked everything! We're only going to be down for a few days, so if we can't fit in Key Largo on this trip, we will definitely move a bit up the road next time so we can dive with you. How do the private charters work? My wife would really like to go that route. PM me if this isn't the place to talk details.

And beachcomber, I don't think you can beat the upper Keys for diving, beginner to advanced. Of course, I dive quarries in the midwest so what do I know!
I don't think there is an onsite dive operator at Cheeca anymore. Private charters (half or full day) are offered by most of the local dive ops. Generally, the smaller the boat, the lower the price. Six pax generally charge from four to six times the per diver price... so figure on spending $220 to $360 for a half-day private charter with captain. We get $400-$500 per half-day, but accomodate up to ten divers, and provide both a captain and a divemaster. I'm with your wife on this one... if you can afford it, private charters are the way to go!

KeyLargoBrent:
I don't think there is an onsite dive operator at Cheeca anymore. Private charters (half or full day) are offered by most of the local dive ops. Generally, the smaller the boat, the lower the price. Six pax generally charge from four to six times the per diver price... so figure on spending $220 to $360 for a half-day private charter with captain. We get $400-$500 per half-day, but accomodate up to ten divers, and provide both a captain and a divemaster. I'm with your wife on this one... if you can afford it, private charters are the way to go!

That makes sense, since obviously you need to cover your expenses. How far ahead would we need to book? Thanks for all the details Brent. You're right, that does sound like a good way to go. Hope Charley's not giving you too much trouble!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom