Finally made my purchasing decision

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RockyTop

Registered
Reaction score
After much back and forth and countless hours reading this board, i have decided on the equipment i am going to purchase.

i was starting to think i would not be able to make up my mind. just so many things you have to take into consideration. i am very thankful for all the information that is shared on this site.

i know I have spent way too much time researching here. I was at the grocery store and told a 85 year old woman she needed to put the milk and eggs back and get BP & Wings instead. (just kidding of course)

Anyway, I plan on getting:

SP MK16/S550 Reg and
SP Knighthawk BC w/AIR2

I am going to get this setup in the next couple of days so dont try and talk me out it. I was finally able to get some sleep last night.

No worries, you have chosen good equipment there.

Unless you do some serious deep diving or tech diving, your choice will bring you through all rec dives situations with ease.

Cheers!

RockyTop:
After much back and forth and countless hours reading this board, i have decided on the equipment i am going to purchase.

i was starting to think i would not be able to make up my mind. just so many things you have to take into consideration. i am very thankful for all the information that is shared on this site.

i know I have spent way too much time researching here. I was at the grocery store and told a 85 year old woman she needed to put the milk and eggs back and get BP & Wings instead. (just kidding of course)

Anyway, I plan on getting:

SP MK16/S550 Reg and
SP Knighthawk BC w/AIR2

I am going to get this setup in the next couple of days so dont try and talk me out it. I was finally able to get some sleep last night.

Other than the obligatory BP/W comments, I don't think you will get too many negative comments on your choices.

Except...

...for the Air2

Not fond of them myself. An answer to a question that shouldn't have been asked, in my opinion.

Congratulations on the impending purchase.

Kestrell:
Other than the obligatory BP/W comments, I don't think you will get too many negative comments on your choices.

Except...

...for the Air2

Not fond of them myself. An answer to a question that shouldn't have been asked, in my opinion.

Congratulations on the impending purchase.

One truly good thing about an air-2 is that you are donating your primary to your buddy, providing him/her with a fully operational 2nd stage reg. I do not use an air-2, but I do see this as a major advantage to them.

IndigoBlue:
One truly good thing about an air-2 is that you are donating your primary to your buddy, providing him/her with a fully operational 2nd stage reg. I do not use an air-2, but I do see this as a major advantage to them.

From a DIR perspective, yes. However the Air2 is difficult to manage. You have a reg in your mouth with the inflate/deflate controls for your BC on it as well. It is tough to get your inflation hose to the highest point when it is in your mouth. Complicate this with the fact that you have someone that you are almost forced to hug, they are so close to you since a non-DIR set up will have a relatively short hose on the main reg; shorter even than a traditional acto.

Getting back to the working reg issue. As much as I look out for my buddy, I want to know that my reg is working, and therefore would, under normal circumstances, want to keep it in my mouth. It is easier to rescue someone when you are able to count on your own gear. As for my octo, many arguements for DIR thinking tend to imply that all octo's are tied to the bumper of a car and dragged to the dive site, never checked, and in some cases, duct-taped to the first stage.

I always check that all of the regulators I am wearing work; four or fave breaths each while looking at the SPG. Furthermore I ensure it is secured to my BC and not dragging across the ground ever.

Those are good and high quality equipment. Chances are that you will go through your entire diving history without ever having to use the AIR 2. However, in such an unlikely event it will get you and yours to the surface. When I started diving we never dreamed that such sophisticated equipment would be available or that anybody would ever have the money to buy it. My suggestion, perform regular function checks on all of your equipment. Bear in mind that most accidents are diver error and not related to life support equipment. For example, don't use your fancy vest to surface under a spinning propeller.

Kestrell:
From a DIR perspective, yes. However the Air2 is difficult to manage. You have a reg in your mouth with the inflate/deflate controls for your BC on it as well. It is tough to get your inflation hose to the highest point when it is in your mouth. Complicate this with the fact that you have someone that you are almost forced to hug, they are so close to you since a non-DIR set up will have a relatively short hose on the main reg; shorter even than a traditional acto.

From a non-DIR perspective (perish the thought), the recreational diver:
1. Will probably never NEED to share air.
2. Can vent out of his shoulder dump and shouldn't need to inflate, so the BC controls are a moot point.
3. Will WANT to almost hug his OOG buddy while ascending so he can maintain eye contact and reach his buddy's inflate/deflate controls--remember, this is someone who ran out of gas on a rec dive, so you want to be prepared to assist in other ways!

The AIR2 is an excellent option to the standard octo. Your other choices are very good as well, RockyTop. Enjoy your gear and your dives. Please do regularly practice the donating air and ascent routine, as you should with any configuration to keep it a routine procedure.

theskull

Really, after everything you've read on SB??? I would probably have gone with the BP/W and APEKS...............

I wouldn't want to bet on that one; unfortunately it happens.

2. Can vent out of his shoulder dump and shouldn't need to inflate, so the BC controls are a moot point.
I'm holding my buddy very closely out of necessity due to my standard length reg hose, controlling him, looking at my computer/SPG, and now I'm pulling the integrated dump/inflation/Air2 to vent air without pulling it out of my mouth. Task loading might become an issue.

3. Will WANT to almost hug his OOG buddy while ascending so he can maintain eye contact and reach his buddy's inflate/deflate controls--remember, this is someone who ran out of gas on a rec dive, so you want to be prepared to assist in other ways!
Definitely, but I would want the option of a little room if needed.

The AIR2 is an excellent option to the standard octo. Your other choices are very good as well, RockyTop. Enjoy your gear and your dives. Please do regularly practice the donating air and ascent routine, as you should with any configuration to keep it a routine procedure.
I agree that these choices are good. I even considered an Air2, but decided against it. However I don't hate them and would certainly dive with someone who had one. I was just providing my $0.02 on the Air2. Your advice on practicing is something nobody can argue with. Whatever your configuration when diving, knowing where everything is and how to use it is the most important thing.

Kestrell:
I wouldn't want to bet on that one; unfortunately it happens.

I'm holding my buddy very closely out of necessity due to my standard length reg hose, controlling him, looking at my computer/SPG, and now I'm pulling the integrated dump/inflation/Air2 to vent air without pulling it out of my mouth. Task loading might become an issue.

Definitely, but I would want the option of a little room if needed.

I agree that these choices are good. I even considered an Air2, but decided against it. However I don't hate them and would certainly dive with someone who had one. I was just providing my $0.02 on the Air2. Your advice on practicing is something nobody can argue with. Whatever your configuration when diving, knowing where everything is and how to use it is the most important thing.

I don't disagree with any of your points, Kestrell. And I most often dive with a 7' hose and bungeed backup personally--since I dive a lot and with many inexperienced divers I expect to be a donor, although I have only had 1 true OOG sharing experience so far, along with 1 low on gas air share. Still, I consider the AIR2 setup to be safe and convenient although not the ideal setup for emergency preparedness.

theskull

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom