Finally got to Venice Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jessecurry

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I finally got to dive in Venice on Sunday, I made my first dive about a mile north of the pier with maybe 8 ft vis.
I got to see some interesting, but small marine life including some fish that had attached crab-like legs that I've never even heard of.

For my second dive we decided to try Venice beach because we heard that it was a much shorter swim and could be a little more interesting, but by the time we got there the vis had dropped to almost nothing, I basically ended up staring at a wall of black below me and periodically checking my depth to see if I was descending at all, so we scrubbed to dive. We had hoped to make three that day, but the first one was definitely worth it. I was glad to see that there were still some parts of Venice that I hadn't explored after growing up there.

that sounds like an interest critter you saw ... any pics?

i've never been to Venice. have you tried the fossil diving?

I'm betting the fish was a Searobin, they crawl around with what looks like legs, actually appendages from their fins that aren't webbed?

Something like this?

RobinFish.sized.jpg

sorry, didn't respond to andy, I was mainly cruising the fossil trail, but since it was my first time I didn't spend too much time looking at fossils, I was mainly trying to survey the area.
There were a striking amount of sand dollars in the area, and it seems that a crab was hiding under each one. And there was a lot of small marine life that made the dive a little more interesting. If I could dive there when there was a little more vis I'd be really excited, at least once so I could get a better idea of where everything is in relation to one another.

Did you see some of the holes that are from 1"-2" in diameter? Those are the homes of mantis shrimp (I saw a lot of them this weekend). Really cool, but don't touch :).

Ah.. 8' and sand dollars, you weren't out far enough.. double your depth and look for black pebbles.. then your starting to hit the right spots! :D

I have soooo got to dive Venice.. the water here at Lovers Key has been Carribean clear!!

Where around Lovers Key have you been diving? I wouldnt even thing to try there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom