Finally dove with DIR buddies. What a mess!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HAve you met the scubaguys yet??

Really good guys....and they like to drink beer too....or as they refer to it "adult beverages"

Only after the dives are done!

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...

Really good guys....and they like to drink beer too....or as they refer to it "adult beverages"

detroit diver once bubbled...
Only after the dives are done!

That depends....is it a crappy day for diving???? This is why you always pack a "rock-bottom" cooler...you know enough to get you and your buddies through the tough times.

Who ever heard of a crappy day for diving????:wink:

Those of us who don't have dry-suits....

I've met Brandon a couple of times. The last time was this past weekend in fact. I was teaching a class at Haigh and MHK was nice enough to invite us to sit in on some of their lecture and join them for dinner on Sat. I wasn't able to hook up with them on Sunday though because my class went way long and they were gone before I finished up. Well, for that matter, every one in the whole quarry was gone before I finished up. LOL

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

I wasn't able to hook up with them on Sunday though because my class went way long

They just aren't as dedicated as mike....:D

They just aren't as dedicated as mike....:D

LOL. I wouldn't say that but our last dive was 82 minutes total for skills and fun diving. We also had to wait out a storm before we could get in the water for the second dive. My class had as much bottom time as any 4 or 5 OW classes there this weekend, I'll bet.

detroit diver once bubbled...
Well, here's your post: Where i part ways with you is the supposition that all divers i taught before spending more time on trim, are "bad divers." You attributed it to me by way of supposition at least 3 times.

On a whole, I think the major agencies suck big time. I'd be the first to admit that. But I'll also say that there are instructor exceptions to that rule. My problem is, they are few and far between.

I missed your invitation, but I'm not up in your area often anyway. I was up in Charlevoix last weekend-the first time in around 5 years. So watching a class is not an option. And frankly, I'd rather be diving!

Here's an offer to you. If you think you can't teach a student proper bouyancy and trim from day 1 in the pool without touching the bottom, I'll be happy to invite you to a class that my dive buddies give (scubaguys.com). I'm sure they won't mind you sitting (floating) in. It's really neat to watch, and it doesn't take much longer that a "normal" OW class.

Well, i guess my quote above was not very clear so i do apologize for that. I didn't intend to write you "said" divers i taught were bad divers if i did. I intended to say your belief is any diver that is taught from the bottom of the pool is automatically a bad diver. It is clear to me that you feel that way.

Its really a moot point anyway because i already agreed with you that it puts out a better diver, not teaching off the bottom that is. We have been working toward that goal for over a year now. Not quite there yet but confident we will be in the near future. I just disagree that divers taught before staying off the bottom, are automatically bad divers. Like i said earlier, "bad diver", can be a rather subjective phrase with few good connotations.

I would love to float in on one of the scubaguys classes, as well as one of Mikef classes but i have the same problem as you ... i would rather be diving and i have to pay for this habit ... as in job.

I did make myself a promise last year to visit MikeF sometime in the near future and that hasn't worked out yet but it will in time. Might actually be easier to visit the scubaguys, it would be closer for me. Thanks for the offer, i'll keep it in mind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom