FINALLY doing Wreck Alley, where's the best place to stay in Mission Bay?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WannaLaguna

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hey Gang,

after living on the west coast for well over a year I am FINALLY going down to San Diego to do Wreck Alley at the end of October.

Where would you suggest we stay? Not looking for over the top amenities... just a decent place to crash after a great day of diving.

Oh Yeah! Any good places to kick back for dinner/drinks?

thanks

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I've dived in San Diego a couple times a year for the past several years. Who are you diving with? I've only stayed at Quivera Basin at the Hyatt Regency and across the street at the Dana. Both hotels were absolutely fine and have a variety of accomodations and prices. Both are within short walk for Waterhorse, Lois Ann, and Marissa, short drive to Dive Connections.

There are several informal, inexpensive places to eat in the vicinity, small diner near Lois Ann & Marissa dock at Seaforth fishing (great early breakfast), seafood diner at Waterhorse dock next to Hyatt (fresh oysters in attached seafood store limited hours), restaurant at the Dana called the Blue Pearl, upscale restaurant at the Hyatt called Red Marlin where I've never eaten but heard food and ambience are good. With exception of the latter, not sure these would be considered "kick back dinner and drinks". You might want to stay downtown and do some driving if after dive entertainment is high on the list.

Regardless, you'll have a great time diving. The Yukon and Ruby E are a blast. The local kelp dives are excellent too. There are some very good more experienced dives at Hogan, P38, Scripp's Canyon that may be right up your alley (your profile sure looks different than your logged dives!). The Coronado Islands are a great change of pace also. Best of luck in San Diego.

Good diving, Craig

Hi Jeff,

I've dived in San Diego a couple times a year for the past several years. Who are you diving with? I've only stayed at Quivera Basin at the Hyatt Regency and across the street at the Dana. Both hotels were absolutely fine and have a variety of accomodations and prices. Both are within short walk for Waterhorse, Lois Ann, and Marissa, short drive to Dive Connections.

There are several informal, inexpensive places to eat in the vicinity, small diner near Lois Ann & Marissa dock at Seaforth fishing (great early breakfast), seafood diner at Waterhorse dock next to Hyatt (fresh oysters in attached seafood store limited hours), restaurant at the Dana called the Blue Pearl, upscale restaurant at the Hyatt called Red Marlin where I've never eaten but heard food and ambience are good. With exception of the latter, not sure these would be considered "kick back dinner and drinks". You might want to stay downtown and do some driving if after dive entertainment is high on the list.

Regardless, you'll have a great time diving. The Yukon and Ruby E are a blast. The local kelp dives are excellent too. There are some very good more experienced dives at Hogan, P38, Scripp's Canyon that may be right up your alley (your profile sure looks different than your logged dives!). The Coronado Islands are a great change of pace also. Best of luck in San Diego.

Good diving, Craig

Thanks Craig, not sure what happened to my dive count..was in last night updated some stuff...it's correct now :wink:

Thanks for the info, it looks like it's going to be the Hyatt. I "believe" we are diving with the Lois Ann. We're doing the P-38, Yukon and Kelp Beds... I believe... photos and video to follow.

dive safe all,

Jeff

No point in asking a local about hotels, we never use them. Restaurants, though, we know about. What kind of food do you like. PB has good sushi, tapas, Thai, Italian, Cajun, burgers, seafood, even Peruvian. (no Ethiopian that I know of, you have to go to UH for that)

No point in asking a local about hotels, we never use them. Restaurants, though, we know about. What kind of food do you like. PB has good sushi, tapas, Thai, Italian, Cajun, burgers, seafood, even Peruvian. (no Ethiopian that I know of, you have to go to UH for that)

Thanks bishop, we're vegetarians....We're definitely staying at the Hyatt so something around there would be sweet. Our fav food is Italian.

Looking forward to your reply!

dive safe,

Jeff

I was just out there, stayed at La Quinta off hotel circle. Clean and it was priced decently. Free breakfast too

I actually live right on mission bay, so I know some killer spots to grub at. One of my favorite places to eat in Pacific Beach is Mama Mia's. It's a small little Italian restaurant with some of the best homemade family style pasta I've ever had. Feel free to pm me with any other questions.

I'll be down there again mid-October . . .and will be bringing the Chargers back up to LA with me!

(San Diego Fans really hate that:lotsalove: !)

Back
Top Bottom