Trip Report Finally, back in SE Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got the 2nd Moderna shot 9 days ago. That night I woke up with fever and chills. I hung out at home for the day and relaxed. I had low-grade fever off and on for numerous days and am just now starting to feel stronger. I get worn out very easily.

That being said, I'm still very happy to have had the vaccine. I realize these are just signs of my body's response to the vaccine and I believe that means it's working. Everyone is different and will react differently. I'm only responding so you will have another experience to draw from when you get your 2nd shot. Best of luck!
Thnx did you feel the first shot?

I did just fine with the first shot. No issues at all.
Thank you

Day 3 March 19

Four dives with Jupiter Dive Center today. It was a nice day, started with clouds and a few sprinkles, turned mostly sunny and warm, moderate wind. The seas were down. Started at 2-3, even better in the afternoon. The current also decreased significantly, only mild north. Water temp was also a bit down, 73 on Wreck Trek, 75-76 on the reefs. Visibility was a little better, 40 to maybe 60 feet.

We did Wreck Trek and Capt Kirle's in the morning and Lemon Drop and Scarface in the afternoon. Lemon Drop was absolutely phenomenal. We had Lemon Sharks with us virtually the entire dive. There were sometimes one or two, often up to a half dozen. We had Lemon Sharks follow us up half way to our safety stop, and then seven joined us at the surface at the back of the boat. This was one of the best dives I have had at Lemon Drop. There will be photos, when I get to downloading my camera. At least a few of them should be good. Wreck Trek had a fair number of Lemon Sharks and Goliath Grouper. The reefs had some Lemons, Nurse Sharks, Loggerhead and Hawksbill turtles, Green Morays, and all the usual reef fish.

A very good day with JDC. The boat was full with their Covid limit of 14, it was only moderately crowded, nearly everyone masked.

Tomorrow I have 4 dives with Loggerhead out of Boynton Beach. It may be my last day of diving as Sunday predicted to be 6-8. occ 10, down to Tues at 3-5, occ 6. I'm hoping for Tues.

Day 4 March 20

I did 4 solo dives today with Loggerhead out of Boynton Beach. It was cooler today, with the wind, I was very sorry I did not take my boat coat. A rain coat and fleece jacket worked OK. The seas started out quite calm but built in the afternoon while the wind picked up. Likely ended up 3-5, occasional bigger. Water temp was 75-77 degrees, visibility varied from about 40 to 60 feet. Loggerhead is also running reduced Covid load and encouraging mask use.

My four dives were Briny Breezes outside to inside, Black Condo outside to inside, Clubhouse outside, and Table Tops to the main reef. The morning dives had a mild north current, afternoon had switched over to a mild south current. Easily, the highlight of the day was a Great Hammerhead on the 3rd dive outside of Clubhouse. This is only the 2nd Great Hammerhead I've seen in Boynton Beach. A good 10+ footer swam up behind me and passed me on the right side. It was in no hurry, turned broadside in front of me, before slowly turning south and swimming away, It was magical. All the dives today were quite good with a few Lemon Sharks, Nurse Sharks Loggerhead and Hawksbill turtles, Green Morays, and the plethora of usual reef fish that Boynton Beach is known for.

Today was a great day, good thing, tomorrow, and likely Monday, are cancelled due to seas. I'm still holding out hope that I will be able to get out on Tuesday before going back home on Wednesday. Fourteen dives in 4 days, not too bad.

My townhouse in just off the intracoastal waterway, the wind is really blowing. I'll have to ride my bike to the Boynton Inlet tomorrow.

Happy for you that you are back in the water. Sounds like a great four days of diving! Did you have your camera when you encountered the great hammerhead?

Happy for you that you are back in the water. Sounds like a great four days of diving! Did you have your camera when you encountered the great hammerhead?
Unfortunately, no. I don't often take my camera when solo drifting in Boynton, just relax and enjoy the view. Of course, there are rare occasions when I wish I had it:)

Day 5 March 21

Sunday was a no go due to sea conditions, or predicted sea conditions. NOAA said 7-9 with occasional 11. I rode my bike to the Boynton inlet in the early afternoon and it was much, much less than that. Oh well.

Day 6 March 22

Today, I did 2 dives with Starfish out of Boynton Beach. NOAA prediction was 5-7, occasional 9, it was actually around 2 feet or less, the flattest day I've had this visit. The morning started out quite cool, warmed a bit. I took my own boat coat but Starfish now has loaner boat coats, a nice addition to their service. Water temp was 75-6 degrees, a mild north current, visibility around 50 feet. Starfish is still running a limited load and masking.

I usually dive by myself, today I took along a young man on his 1st dives in SE Florida. The only other 2 divers on the boat were already a pair and were hunting. I really don't mind occasionally taking a diver or divers with me to help orient them to the beautiful reef in Boynton. First dive was outside at Clubhouse with a crossover to Gulfstream. This in not a dive most beginners would likely be doing here. The second dive was all inside at the gorgeous site Black Condo aka Tumbled Rocks. For the first day this trip, there was nothing spectacular seen on these dives, just the diverse variety of beautiful reef fish so common in Boynton.

Tomorrow, I do 2 more dives with Starfish, bringing my week of diving to an end :(

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom