Fin??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Force fins don't do well in caves and I wear a dry suit with my Dive-Rite fins with no problems although Jets would be one of my next choices! Dive-Rite designed by Cave Divers for Cave Divers! In real cave diving split fins are not allowed! :no:mooner: Did you ever notice how many Free divers wear split fins? Shows you how well they work!

...I wear a dry suit with my Dive-Rite fins with no problems although Jets would be one of my next choices! Dive-Rite designed by Cave Divers for Cave Divers!

Glad they work for you. I tried the Dive Rites. They sucked (for me). Too long, poor propulsion, too narrow, too light.

By the way, there's a whole BUNCH of stuff Dive Rite makes that I wouldn't take in a cave. So we can just leave the rhetoric out...

NorthWoodsDiver,
That is interesting that you were allowed to do the course in splits. I am not sure which agency, but the ones I am familiar with, that is I think against the training standards. Especially in low/no flow systems like MX, this more than easily leads to silt outs that can stay there for hours if not days.

It was not really allowed, The instructor gave me another pair to use but we convinced him it would be ok on a test dive. We were warned for future reference that we needed to have the proper equipment.

I can be just as careful with splits as anything else I'm just not as fast.

I'm sitting here looking at the NSS/CDS Cavern, Intro, Cave workbook and it reads as follows; "Equipment section - Propusion; "Power fins, with straps taped or reversed to prevent snags with the guideline. Straps replaced with spring type straps."

That's it, two bullet points regarding propulsion.

I knew beforehand that splits were totally non-acceptable, but a diver new to our sport might not know this, and since his instructor approved his gear configuration.....Let's not castigate the guy, he only knew what he learned from his instructor. Bring him into the fold people.

Something tells me that this was a PADI course.

PADI Cave?

The instructor was very clear that these fins are not acceptable but he ended up allowing it. I knew know one used them for cave diving but chose to try it anyway. I'm not gonna go any further on this since this was not the purpose of the original post. I intend to get the proper fins in the proper size for any future cave/wreck use after a thorough research of the options.

PADI doesn't do cave classes.

.....Let's not castigate the guy, he only knew what he learned from his instructor. Bring him into the fold people.

I don't think anyone is looking at NWD funny. NWD is looking for the right equipment. He was allowed by a professional who knows better yet apparently ignores training standards. These standards are in place for a reason. If this instructor softens up the training standards for fins, what else was softened up? I think that is a fair question in light of this?

As a matter of fact this was a topic of discussion last weekend at the dinner table with instructors. The apparent 'lowering' of quality of students' or 'non-adherence to training standards' in the cave diving community. This is not directed to anyone in this thread, but an honest concern raising its head.

I watched Bill Rennaker let a student use Force fins just so everyone could laugh the A$$es of when he Turtled with his doubles and the guy learned his lesson, but a point was being made!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom