Fin tips pointing up when hovering

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wKkaY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I notice in photos of myself and recently in a video during practice, when I hover I have a habit of pointing my fintips upwards.

I don't think it's ideal and I'd like to break the habit and be more mindful of my fintip position, before I start cave training.

What could I do to troubleshoot and improve this?

(In this photo I'm the diver on the right side, taking a video of the other diver)
26240518_10155610869863929_7837329966185844062_o.jpg

don't worry about it, pretty much everyone has their tips up to some degree. It's usually from tight calves, stretch them out more so your feet don't naturally go to that position. You want to be comfortable in that position not fighting any natural body positions.

I agree with Tom. If you look like that while hovering, you can look to other areas if you are on a quest for improved diving.

don't worry about it, pretty much everyone has their tips up to some degree. It's usually from tight calves, stretch them out more so your feet don't naturally go to that position. You want to be comfortable in that position not fighting any natural body positions.
Good point, I can't do the downward dog because of tight calves.. I'll look into that!

Good point, I can't do the downward dog because of tight calves.. I'll look into that!

See I have a similar problem except I can't do downward dog cause I don't do yoga.:)

I find myself hovering that way to keep my fins away from the coral and bottom. I have no desire to enter a cave so I guess I'll keep the habit.

Pointed fin tips are often due to being imbalanced, and you might be compensating by holding your position in the water with your fin position. Do you have any video of you hovering? Is there any rocking from head to toe or adjusting/correcting trim position with your fins? These are often seen together when someone is imbalanced such as being head heavy or foot heavy.

If you relax and stretch out mid-water while neutral and have someone video you or tell you if you remain horizontal while you just let your body go where it may, you can figure out if you happen to be imbalanced. If you're weighted correctly and your equipment is positioned optimally, you should be pretty horizontal without effort. Another check is to have someone video or observe you while doing a frog or other kick and see if you rock at all. I've had pointy fins in the past when figuring out new equipment and I've seen it several times. It should be pretty easy to level out once you figure out what your fins are compensating for. Good luck! :)

@Ayisha he said he can't do downward dog due to tight calves. I bet that is just the natural position his feet go to because his muscles are tight. Most people have to work to get their feet at 90* to their calves because of somewhat tight calves, you can see it in the other diver as well but to a lesser extent.

If you are doing photography, that's actually the perfect position to avoid damaging anything below while concentrating on what you are shooting.

If you are doing photography, that's actually the perfect position to avoid damaging anything below while concentrating on what you are shooting.

What strikes me is the very fact that he's task loaded with the camera while still managing to hover in such an ostensibly imperfect posture. We should all be so imperfect! Trim appears to be flat as a pancake. Nice.

Now, when doing the flutter kick, the fin tips will point up like that, so I can't imagine it's some sort of horrible habit to be broken before cave training. Saggy fin tips that could stir up silt are much more of an issue, my instructor points out when I get lazy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom