Fin Techniques

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I assumed (and still do) that since it was a GUE video and the GUE is cave and tech oriented what was being asked about was the antisilting fin techniques used by cave divers. The sources I gave should provide the info. There is no reason not to use these techniques in open water. Precision efficient propulsion without silting is useful anywhere but in some environments it is mandatory.

Originally posted by DennisW
I am sure some of the kicks that are taught in caving are not used much in recreational diving.

More power to you guys, I like to see the daylight.
All the more reason not to rototill the bottom...

Learn to efficiently use the frog kick and you will seldom if ever resort to anything else in OW. :D

I personally hate to see people kicking up the bottom. Unfortunately, it happens way too much. I use the frog kick quite a bit, but when I am just slowly cruising the reef looking at the small stuff, sculling works best. My favorite dives are shallow reefs. Although, I have experience in most types of dives that people today call technical diving. All except for the cave thing. When I was learning how to dive, it was called wreck diving, cave diving, deep diving, etc. I personally believe the name Technical Diving covers too many different types of activities to be a good name for all of them. For example, someone could be considered an experienced cave diver and wouldn't know one twit how to dive and penetrate a wreck. I can't for the life of me see why they are not fairly similar, but ask Walter about a dive on the Duane he had with an "experienced" cave diver and he can tell you a scary story.

I have the Lifeguard Systems Scuba Instructor readiness tape #4. Is this what you are talking about? The volume I have covers a lot, but there are no tips on kicking. Would another volume have it? BTW, I agree that a good frog kick gets me where I want to go in open water with minimal energy & silting. Where's Walter; I HAVE to hear the cave story! Can it be told here or only by PM?

art.chick, the Lifeguard Systems video series was geared mostly for open water recreational diving and teaching. No major different fining technques were covered.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom