Fin Techniques

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

landlocked

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Where can I find more information on different finning techniques? I viewing the DIR III video I saw some fin kicks that I was unfamiliar with. I suspect that there are more.

thanks

Any good instructor should be able to teach you most of the finning techniques. Walter taught me several during my OW cert. Flutter Kick, Frog Kick, Dolphin Kick, Scissor Kick, and one I don't have a name for but you just move your ankles taking the fins out to the side and back in together slightly angled. This one is useful when you want to move slowly or you are in an area that can silt out.

I think I've heard the unnamed kick in DennisW's post referred to as sculling. Not sure that is the correct name though.

my instructor used the same term...sculling

Sculling is what I use 95% of the time I dive. Unless I am in a high flow cave like Ginnie, where I use the frog kick once and a while. Very effective kick IMO. No strain at all.

Sculling, that's it. When you get old you forget stuff. Usually names for things and people. I use sculling a lot. Very relaxing way to move about the reef.

landlocked

Get or barrow a copy of the NSS or NACD cave diving manuals. The GUE cave text I'm sure would also have this info. Sorry, but most instructors, at least recreational instructors, would not be much help when it comes to fin technique. Some kicks Frog, modified frog, modified flutter, shuffle.

Mike

I guess that in today's dive industry, the OW instructors aren't as thorough as they used to be. However, I'll bet that Walter still teaches everything he taught me and maybe more. Even instructors are supposed to learn with experience. Looks like the diving industry is turning out substandard (my opinion only) instructors and divers if they don't teach at least the things I was taught in 1988. Did I open up another can of worms? This has been debated enough in other threads I know so there is no need to comment here.

DennisW,
I don't think Walter taught you the kicks seen on the DIR vid. They are probably the kicks I mentioned (although I hav not seen the video) and other than the frog are not among the ones you listed as being taught to you by Walter. Some of these kicks while the norm in cave or wreck diving are seldom seen in recreational diving. Other than instructors who cave, I don't know many who could demonstrate or even explain these techniques. It has little to do with changing times. For instance, in cave diving the flutter kick which is the norm in recreational diving is almost never used. You don't learn these techniques in an entry level training, you learn them in cave training. I introduce entry level students to these techniques but they are rarely mastered at the OW level.

Mike,

I am sure some of the kicks that are taught in caving are not used much in recreational diving. I know that cavers use a sculling technique with their knees bent so the fins are above the floor of the cave to prevent silt out. I can do that one, too. And there must be others as well. My understanding since his post was in the New 2 Scuba section (probably my misunderstanding after re-reading the original post by Landlocked) was that he had only been taught one or two types of kicks . Caving although I am sure is very rewarding, is not for me, I don't do deep dark holes. More power to you guys, I like to see the daylight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom