Fin Suggestions for Photographer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phoenix1

Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I are looking for new open-heel fins. We have had Mares Plana Avanti HPs for years, and they’ve been fine. But we’re going to Bonaire next month and need fins and boots suitable for shore diving. (We took our Mares fins there last time – big mistake.)

I’m an underwater photographer. We never chase stuff, so I don’t need to be the fastest on the planet. I do need maneuverability, however. We are twice-yearly Caribbean leisure wetsuit divers with no tech diving aspirations. We’re both strong swimmers in good shape and several hundred dives each.

There’s a group of fins in the $140-170 range and a lot below that. Boots extra, of course.

Can anyone recommend fins/boots we might like? We’d spend in the higher range if need be, but if it’s just to gain a nano-knot in speed, I’ll save my money for drinks at the bar afterward.

Suggestions? Advice?

Thanks, Rich

Phoenix1:
but if it’s just to gain a nano-knot in speed, I’ll save my money for drinks at the bar afterward.

You do not mention the conditions you anticipate, currents, etc.

If you want to gain some serious speed (or have the ability to push that non-hydrodynamic 1 cubic foot camera housing through the water column after dawdling over a sea cucumber whilst the rest of the dive group is far ahead and still staring at a Christmas Tree Worm)...

...get some Sporasub fins. I use them and they are capable of light speed. http://shop.divebooty.com/99.html $135 (why screw around?) People may gawk, but they will be gawking from behind.

All in all, when asking questions such as this, I would say my best answer would be: get the pink ones.

I shoot underwater video, and used to have the Mares Plana Avanti fins. I recently switched to the scubapro twin jet fins. I am much happier with them. I can definitely swim faster, without increasing my workload. My dive shop in Fl let me try a few different kinds of fins before I bought... I love the twin jets... I am sure that someone else will say otherwise, but there you go.

Thos Jet Fins have been around for decades and are proven great fins. I'de look into a pair if possible.

Yup, I’d go with Scubapro Jet Fins also.

I believe he said twin jet, not the original jet fins. For warm water I use full foot twin jet in black and really enjoy them. for open heal, i use Apollo Bio fins with spring straps.

SP Jet here too.

First welcome to the board.

For pure control it's very hard to beat the old Jet or Rocket fins. I am not their biggest fan but there is a reason they have such a loyal following in the tech world. I use a pair of Mares Plana Avanti open heal style with good results. I find the stiffer the fin the better control I have but you do give up some in swimming speed and comfort. I find the Plana are a good compromise between speed and control. IMO split fins of any type are just to soft to give good control. I have yet to find a pair I liked.

Welcome to the board first off!

I switched from a softer fin (Aeris Velocity) to ScubaPro Jets about a year ago, I love the precision you get with them - Which in my way of thinking is a great benefit for photography - positioning...

If it helps here's some info on sizing them for various boots etc..

http://www.kidspot.org/personal/scuba

As a benefit, they are also some of the least expensive/most robust (ie. built like a tank)
kind of fin out there too. http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/SCPFJ.html

Aloha, Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom