Fin suggestion after injury

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

highlandfarmwv

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi, I had a recent Achilles tendon rupture with surgical repair. I have 800 dives in the past 8 years, all ocean. I have always preferred a Blade-type lightweight paddle fin. Any recommendation for my first fins when I can get back in water. Looking for lightweight, narrow, open heel. Thanks much.

you may want to try borrowing some split fins at least until it heals properly. I had to stoop to that level when I had about 80% of my calf muscle lacerated in a ski accident. Was about 4 months until I could wear jet fins again.... The Dive Rite XT's are great but you do a lot of kicking from your ankle with those fins, especially in a modified breast stroke kick. It sucks, but the split fins flutter kicking may be your only option until it is fully healed

Hi, I had a recent Achilles tendon rupture with surgical repair. I have 800 dives in the past 8 years, all ocean. I have always preferred a Blade-type lightweight paddle fin. Any recommendation for my first fins when I can get back in water. Looking for lightweight, narrow, open heel. Thanks much.

I'm rehabbing from a partial tear of my Achilles where it attaches to the Soleus muscle... It happened in late June or early July and was only properly diagnosed in October. I got out of the boot about a month ago, I'm wearing heel lifts and doing Physical Therapy twice a week. I'm not sure in my case I'll change anything since my pain occurs when walking, pushing off and lifting my weight with my toes (lifting my heel while bearing weight on it). When swimming, my toes are mostly pointed backwards so there's no stress to the Achilles Tendon.

In fact after I first injured it I had no problem swimming at all but walking was the issue. I dove for several months without any problem other than hobbling to the water.

Obviously your injury was much worse than mine, requiring surgery but that's been my experience so far with my injury.

Jim

Jim, huge difference on the tendon if you are flutter kicking or breast stroke/frog kicking, unfortunately with the frog kicking that he is likely doing for the diving off the coast, it is a whole lot of calf muscle, more than any of the other muscles in the leg.

Jim, huge difference on the tendon if you are flutter kicking or breast stroke/frog kicking, unfortunately with the frog kicking that he is likely doing for the diving off the coast, it is a whole lot of calf muscle, more than any of the other muscles in the leg.

No question there's a difference. It depends on whether he's flutter kicking or frog kicking.

I switch back and forth without thinking but generally I flutter kick unless I'm in circumstances that require a frog kick. I'd say probably 95% of the time I flutter kick. Whether "off the coast" or otherwise.

Finning was never an issue prior to treatment but when I got out of the water, I could barely walk. I had a hard time walking to and from the boat when diving in Cozumel and Belize last fall. I don't expect there to be a problem when I resume diving this spring.

This was my experience with my Achilles injury and may or may not apply to anyone else.

Jim

Force Fins Pro are great for those with orthopedic issues. Rather than a foot pocket they use a stirrup that transmits the force from the ankle rather than the forefoot. It should remove stress on your Achilles tendon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom