Fin size to Rock boot???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike, you are happy with the fit but I just want others to be aware with size 9 rockboots, I was not... Too much of my foot was still sticking out of the pocket, so Turtles worked for me. Others need to try before they buy and make sure it feels good for them.

John

Mike, you are happy with the fit but I just want others to be aware with size 9 rockboots, I was not... Too much of my foot was still sticking out of the pocket, so Turtles worked for me. Others need to try before they buy and make sure it feels good for them.

John

John,

You are right that you need to try the fin before you buy. But I am pretty certain that my findings are dead on as long as you use the 12 inch springs.

I did a lot of testing around with different springs by different makers and different sizes. The perfect match for DUI size 9 rock boot with my configuration is what I post.

I took pictures of my outside sock and should've also photographed the sock insulation which is the powerstretch socks.

Keeping all those factors into play should yield you my findings of a very good fit. Any larger size can spell disaster.

But please take into consideration the fin by Hollis I did post the direct link and I encourage you to try them.

Mike

John

Mike - have you had a chance to dive these fins yet. Looks like a pretty poor fit from the picture - as John points out appear that too much of your foot is sticking out of the pocket.

Mike - have you had a chance to dive these fins yet. Looks like a pretty poor fit from the picture - as John points out appear that too much of your foot is sticking out of the pocket.

RJP,

No I haven't gotten the chance to dive the darn fin because my drysuit class isn't until January.

What I might have trouble is with beach entrances since those are my majority dives. The fin is a very narrow fit that I have to use precision when I do my figure four to don the fin while in the water.

With practice I know this is going to work fine. What I would've of prefered is the Hollis fin since that fin takes my foot a lot nicer than the Scubapro.

RJP I was working before with a XL scubapro fin with 10 inch spring, NO WAY DOES THAT COMBO WORK ON LAND AND WORSE I WOULD ASSUME ON MY BEACH DIVE.

When I purchased the 12 inch spring the fin goes on/off without incident yes on land but I know that will work in the water.

However, the Hollis fin is the bomb fin and everyone who has DUI size 9 rock boots seriously needs to try them on before going to the scubapro.

nuff said...

Mike

RJP,

When I purchased the 12 inch spring the fin goes on/off without incident yes on land but I know that will work in the water.

It's less about how easy it is to don/doff the fin as it is about getting the proper propulsion. Harder to do when there's not enough of your foot in the fin.

As always, "buy it right, or buy it twice."

Jessica, why not ask Mr. Dick Long or Susan Long which fin's they use that fit the DUI Rock boot just fine, and may I say do not hang off the ends of your toes.

I agree with Bob Evans. I use the same fins that the Long's use and it if its good enough for them then its good enough for me.

That was the first thing that I noticed when I saw the picture. It looks like the ball of your foot Mike is sitting on the back of the fin pocket. I agree that someone should always try fins out first whenever possible before buying.

Jessica, why not ask Mr. Dick Long or Susan Long which fin's they use that fit the DUI Rock boot just fine, and may I say do not hang off the ends of your toes.

This may be just me, but this post really seems rude and a very shameless plug. The OP is asking a specific question in another manufacturer's area regarding Jets and their product. They have even stated that they are not looking at buying a different fin at this point.
It's a real turnoff to me when a manufacturer promotes their product in this manner.:shakehead:

I believe I am doing a service for other DUI users; I am speaking about the Rockboots and that is why my thread states Fin size to Rock boot!

This was a chance for all users of the DUI rockboot to step forward and suggest their opinions especially if they had a size 9 boot.

I started off with a HOG fin that is neither Scubapro or Hollis. This fin came with a spring. When I got the fin home and finally tried on the boot I was no way, this will never work.

I then took the time to post and share my experience and with my findings I conclude that for a simple easy great fit the Hollis fin works best for a size 9 rock boot.

How does that claim hurt DUI? I don't get it because they don't manufacture fins! This is about getting users of the rockboots to collaborate and give their experiences.

If you don't own a rockboot and the fins I mentioned then you are simply lending your opinion based on other fins/boots not related to my concern.

I know what a fin should feel like, I have dove enough times to make that accessment. The HOG was never going to work, neither was the Scubapro with a 10 inch spring.

It wasn't until I got the 12 inch spring that I felt the ease of the fin going in fully enough for me to feel it will work fine. In fact it is a more secure fit than the Hollis.

However, the Hollis fin is much much more simple to put on and take off as more of the boot easily slides in.

My scubapro XL with 12 inch springs gives me an increbile snug fit, not tight not loose, snug. I dove semi snug fins before and snug feels better to my foot.

Maybe my pictures are not showing how much the foot goes in but I can assure you when I dive if it does not meaure up I will post the truth.

RJP is right about buying things twice and making mistakes, I just hope this isn't the case on this fin.

NUFF said.....

Back
Top Bottom