Fin quandary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently picked up some SeaWing Gorillas, I was initially a little hesitant due to so many reports of them breaking at the hinge. The newer versions seems to have fixed the problem in that I have seen no reports of them failing, time will tell. I was pleasantly surprised how easy they are to use, plenty of power I've hit some currents while using them and didn't find them lacking. They seem to be slightly positively (they float) buoyant. I can do most kicks pretty well in them but did take a few dives to get use to them especially frog kicking. Providing they don't break anytime soon I'd have to say they are currently my favorite fin. The small was a little tight so swapped out to a medium bungee and this seems to have fixed the prblem. They do look strange though. Good luck with your search, sounds like you may have found a winner with the Quattros but if you get a chance try out the Gorillas.

Try bending your knees and doing the frog kick with the Hollis. You'll find that your COG moves forward a good bit and you won't be so foot heavy.

That being said, I do dive a Mares Volo Power fin on the reefs off of Key Largo. It's a floppy little fin that gives great results both with frog kicking and flutter. You won't have to worry about cramps with them. :D I just can't seem to back fin in them, but other than that I like them a lot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom