Fin quandary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aaron528

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am bumping into what seems to be a repetitive subject on this site, but after searching for advice on previous posts I feel more confused than ever. I've been diving about 3 years, 150+ dives. I've experimented with a variety of gear, both rental and purchased including different BCs, suits, regs and fins. It's been the same philosophy I had learning about backpacking: gear makes a difference and not all gear is made the same or responds in the same way to a given individual. I've enjoyed playing.

I started out using Tusa X-Pert Zoom split fins and they worked ok, until I started experimenting with kicks other than flutter and found they didn't work at all for frog. I tried using Rocket Fins for about 10 dives but they never did stop generating cramps in spite of other's assurances that would subside. Since then, I've used Force Fins and really like them for their light weight and tremendous push doing flutter kicks, but of course they don't frog kick either. I dive wet in warm climates and when the water gets warm enough around PA; in dry suit to extend my season locally. I use a back inflate SQ Balance BC.

Recently I've tried out Scuba Pro Jets, Hollis F1s, Hollis F2s, and OMS slipstreams. I tend to be foot heavy even in a dry suit and I found the Jets and F1s made that problem worse. They weigh a TON! The slipstreams were neutral and a bit lighter, but they are stiff as boards and killed my feet. Also, even though the slipstreams are 2lbs lighter than the F1s, they still weigh a lot compared to the Force Fins. The F2s just didn't seem to move me; they were too floppy to do good frog kicks. I'm a short guy 5'5", in good shape but I found moving around that much mass causes my legs to cramp, pretty consistently.

I'm a rec diver, not an aspiring tech diver. I have back issues and will never be able to dive in doubles. I've done some wreck diving down to 110 ft, but I have no plans to do penetration dives on a regular basis. I have dived in places where I've needed to fight current, like off the Jersey Shore (Atlantic Ocean).

I'm open to suggestions trying out lightweight paddle style fins that I can frog kick with, don't tend to cause lots of cramps, neutrally buoyant, that will work OK with 7mm wet boots and rock boots. I also want to find (maybe by the same manufacturer) full foot fins I can take to warm climes. All the fins I described above except for the Force Fins, are still prohibitively heavy for travel.

I have a variety of fins and if you don't want cramps and need to perform frog kicks, I recommend my favorite fin that I use most of the time in fresh water:

Apollo Bio Fin Pro C with spring straps

I too use the OMS slipstreams without any issues either. I like the slipstreams because they are lighter for travel.

Hey Jeff, thanks for responding to my post. It's Aaron. The Aaron you've dived with at DS. :D

---------- Post Merged at 12:56 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:51 PM ----------

I have a variety of fins and if you don't want cramps and need to perform frog kicks, I recommend my favorite fin that I use most of the time in fresh water:

Apollo Bio Fin Pro C with spring straps

I too use the OMS slipstreams without any issues either. I like the slipstreams because they are lighter for travel.

Apollo Bio Fin Pro is out of my range pricewise. You can frog kick ok in a split fin? How long did it take before the OMS slipstreams stopped cramping you? I admit I gave them only 6 dives before I got frustrated. Also, slipstreams still weigh more than 5lbs a pair(!).

Try to find a pair of the old Aqualung Blades. Not the blades II. Those are junk. My first set of fins were a pair of black AL blades that I still have and use occasionally in the pool. They are half the weight of my F-1's. And I learned to frog, back kick, and do helicopter turns in them. They sometimes turn up on ebay but lately are getting scarce. Mine are a size large with springs. I might be willing to let em go. Have about 6 pairs of fins here and the F-1's are the ones I use regularly. The Blades could use a good home.

I second with the Mares suggestion. Nice simple paddle fins that are effective. I've had mine for years and they Re fantastic for frog or flutter.

I normally dive with the scubapro jets (spit fin) but they are heavy suckers and I can't back kick with them. I have no problem doing the frog kick however. Due to their weight whenever I go on one of those trips where they are draconion with their weight limits I use my old aqualung blades. 2.5 lbs lighter and I could back up the pentagon. If I'm doing wreck penetration it is the blades. Most trips it is scubapro.

I think you should re-consider the OMS slipstreams - if the foot pocket is properly sized, your feet should not hurt. In my opinion, the blades feel stiffer out of the water than a Jet Fin, but I don't feel any difference in the water.

Otherwise the Mares Power Plana Avanti Quattro is a good fin in both flutter and frog kicks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom