fin problems, need advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arcticcat

Reaction score
I have just got certified and have about 20 dives.
I have cheap snorkle fins and have borrowed quartros.
With both i have this problem.

Sore tired ankles, especially left, right under where you would tie the knot on hiking boots. Problem starts at the end of the 2nd dive. It's fine once the dive is done.

Iam 40 and in decent shape, that is I use weights and a step machine with no problems.

Is this common to new divers?
Is there exersizes to help this?

Would expensive split fins be the answer?

First off, welcome to ScubaBoard and we are definitely glad you decided to join us in our ongoing conversations and education.

Second, no, I don't think splits would to the perfect solution just yet. But two questions come to my mind right off
  1. How is the fit of your booties? I'm thinking they could be a bit too tight and shutting off some circulation.
  2. How much finning are you doing with your ankles during the dive? Ankle kicks are more for slow movements such as turning in place and moving slowly along the reef. The real power for your kicks should be your upper leg. If you're getting tired ankles, perhaps your finning technique needs attention.
Does any of that help?

You probably have your heel straps on way too tight. Remember, when you kick your fins are pushing you forward... the straps need to be a little snug but not tight.

As for split fins... they are wonderful. They do take a lot of strain off of your calves and ankles. They do have their limitations, and I will swap from using my SP Twin Jets to using my AL Rapid fins (which are Jet Fin knock-offs). The later are bullet proof and were bought in the late 60s... they still work GREAT!

I used to have the same problem myself, and still have it, infact. If I go diving less than every two week it sarts all over, but if I dive regularly every day it get's away affter a few days.

I belive the pain is coused by tension while doing the "forward" part of the kick. Try to kick softer, dont hurry anywhere. "play" with your feet, to ease the pain. You may also try to use smaller fins, so the kick will not be as hard. There are also several kinds of fins that will solve the problem completly- the Marres "Vollo" are so soft they will hardly put stress on your ankle. Split fins are also softer than usual fins (but not as soft as the vollo).

I've never heard of this before. I have a feeling this post will be another "guess fest". Here goes-

Change your workout routine and buy a pair of split fins. Use supplements. Specifically:

Do heel raises and donkey calf raises on the machines.

Buy a pair of splitfins. Apollos require minimal exertion as do some others. Watch the sizes; for some reason a size large is now equated to Bigfoot. Drysuits, I guess.

Try taking MSM (health store) and aspirin, rub on some "Blue Stuff".

Ask your physician about arthritis, tendonitus and bone spurs.

Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom