fin choices.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Long blades are energy efficient and powerful, but sacrifice easily making sharp turns. I use long fins for freediving and turns are partly compensated for my having less restriction to bend the whole body. Definitely a good choice for long compass runs though. I swim much straighter in long blades than Jets. I spend most dives slowly meandering towards whatever strikes my interest so the power, speed, and efficiency isn’t worth the loss of maneuverability.

In open water what good is turning faster if you can't move faster afterward? Whatever it is that made you want to turn faster is either something you want to catch or outrun. :D
In photography of fish or spearing, you don't want to turn fast. Move slowly and be sneaky. You gotta floooowwww with it.

My buddy free dives and spearfishes and still uses Jetfins. Our OTHER buddy though, who is also an old fart.....72....finally tried a pair of my old longblades and loves them. He can climb up on the boat unassisted now.

Most will not agree but very few have tried long blades for scuba. I wont' go back unless I try cave diving....but that won't be in this lifetime.

Your first fin is is always a tough choice. I own 3 different pair for 3 different aplications, but the one thing they all have in common (and any fin I buy in the future for that matter) is they all have spring straps. Even if you get an aftermarket strap you will be much happier with the ease and comfort over a standard strap. Worth their weight in gold IMO.

The OP said he will be stationed in SoCal. If so he will be wearing a lot of neoprene or even diving dry. He will likely be doing shore dives over rocks and long walks for access. There is only one, there can only be ONE:

The Scubapro Jetfin.

N

Back
Top Bottom