Filmmaker Rob Stewart dies off Alligator Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CCR having adjusted for low O2 PP at depth could have carried them up to 20 feet of the surface but then to the surface would have caused them to black out due to low O2. Identical equipment, same dive times. Just saying, but there is a lot at stake here.

That's not true... if the CCR was functioning correctly and the unit still had O2 (whether onboard or fed in from elsewhere) then it would have maintained a life-sustaining ppO2 at whatever setpoint was used (up to max of 100% O2 at the particular depth) regardless of the dil ppO2.

-Mark

That's not true... if the CCR was functioning correctly and the unit still had O2 (whether onboard or fed in from elsewhere) then it would have maintained a life-sustaining ppO2 at whatever setpoint was used (up to max of 100% O2 at the particular depth) regardless of the dil ppO2.

-Mark
Are you a rebreather diver who has ever done a bounce to 225 feet? I can easily see the loop becoming hypoxic in that situation, especially if little or no deco was incurred on the dive. And yes, I have dived to 250 and not gone into deco. On open circuit. Rebreathers can't respond fast enough for that.

Are you a rebreather diver who has ever done a bounce to 225 feet? I can easily see the loop becoming hypoxic in that situation, especially if little or no deco was incurred on the dive. And yes, I have dived to 250 and not gone into deco. On open circuit. Rebreathers can't respond fast enough for that.

Ok, perhaps I should have put "in normal circumstances". Bounce dive or not, you must always know your ppO2. For one diver to come to the surface fast and not notice ppO2 falling below 0.16 is unusual (especially for a diver of the experience level necessary to do that sort of dive - I am not casting aspersions on anyone involved here to be clear), but for two divers to make the same mistake? I would suggest that is very unlikely.

-Mark

I am out on the wreck of the Bibb and just saw three helicopters flying a search pattern.

Still lots of radio chatter regarding the ongoing search.

I'm sure the USCG knows how to find people best, but doesn't floating stuff in that area usually get into the gulf stream and move its way up the coast pretty quickly?

I'm sure the USCG knows how to find people best, but doesn't floating stuff in that area usually get into the gulf stream and move its way up the coast pretty quickly?
Yes. The most I ever had divers move on the Wilkes Barre was 12 miles over the course of the deco. Divers were strung out over 6 miles

Yes. The most I ever had divers move on the Wilkes Barre was 12 miles over the course of the deco. Divers were strung out over 6 miles

WOW --- I had divers go about 3 miles from the Wilkes-Barre one time....12 miles is crazy......

Generally, but depends on the eddies. Some of the stream heads back south. It's not like the stream has banks.

-Mark
I might have missed it but do you know what ccr they were using?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom