Filling Your Own Tanks - Oxygen Fire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon:
The original link has been expanded to included "more information" altho you can't tell how accurate it is...
http://www.irishmansoftware.com/fill_your_own_tanks.htm

I just went to that link, and I do think he was Nitrox certfied, but what I did see was alot of copying and pasting from artcials that I have wrote in the past.

That is why I said a few times, let the Fire Marshall's investagate the cause of the fire, and try not to speculate on what had happened.

The most important thing here to remember is nobody got hurt, very lucky, and hopfully somone that was thinking of filling their own tanks, or setting up shop in their garage to do that, will look at this and take all satfey precautions nessary if they are going to go down that route.

Not saying it can't be done, many people do fill their own tanks, and do it saftely, but hopfully this will open everyone eye's, that when you really don't know what your doing, and you think you do, or not this is the result.

I know this person very well, and I'm glad to see him walk away this time, as I really do belive it was just poor judgement, and very little experiance that caused the result's here.

Nobody got killed or hurt but I have the funny feeling he won't be walking away from this anytime soon...

According to the linked site, he was living in rented garage space! My sympathies lie with the poor family that has to explain this to their insurance company.

A very expensive tenant...

Cheers,

Andrew

ShoalDiverSA:
According to the linked site, he was living in rented garage space! My sympathies lie with the poor family that has to explain this to their insurance company.

A very expensive tenant...

Cheers,

Andrew

Actually I fear the insurance company will explain to the family what this means..

do it easy:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it looks like all the steel tanks survived and the one the popped was aluminum.

The Aluminum probably was the one he was trying to fill.
As you can see, the explosion was from inside to out.

If other tanks exploded, there would have been some
kind of damage to the side of those tanks to indiate
they were hit by a fragment.

But then again we can only guess what might have really happened.

Hopefully the Fire Marshall will give the report soon.

Glad the person was not hurt.

I seen where someone wanted to know if the tanks are for sale. The are all junk, anytime a tank gets that hot, they will explode when filling, and will go off like a bemb. I have seen the pictures of tanks that where heat treated powder painted, and when they where filled at a dive shop,it looked like that garage.
Ed

Any updates on the incident? Anyword from the fire marshal?

FLTEKDIVER;
Just looked at the expanded to include more info. Yes, now you can clearly see an industrial size G cylinder. I do believe you are correct in that it was more than a normal house fire. Please accept my apology. Thanks for saying what I said was "dumb" and not that I was.
I'm glad your friend is alive and well.
Bill Childers NAUI 5709L C.D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom