filling your own tanks on a small boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You should be able to get a compressor for much less than $5K, but probably not much less than $2K, and you might have to spend some time looking. See if you can find a used electric RIX SA-3. They're a decently small package, should run on 11A of 220V, and ongoing maintenance costs are pretty low as they are oil-less. I picked one up that I'm holding for eventual installation on a cruising sailboat.

There are lots of expensive things you don't NEED on a cruising sailboat - dinghy, SSB, autopilot, chartplotter, even engine - that nevertheless most cruisers wouldn't want to go without. If they enhance your personal experience of the trip, you make the investment. The money for the most part is a capital expense - it adds to the resale value of the boat. I'm like you - though I've never been cruising, I intend to, and a compressor is high on my list.

On the other hand, have you really looked at your assumptions about availability of rental tanks and air fills? Are you sure that a half dozen tanks wouldn't cover you between fill opportunities over most of the route you plan to sail?

Have you thought about a Hookah system like a Brownie's third lung?

I did exactly what you want to do. I used a gas powered RIX SA-3 which I hoisted on deck and ran the intake up a halyard to get it away from any possible fumes. The RIX was marketed 20 yrs ago just for that purpose. Weighs about 80lb. Footprint 1ft x 1ft x 3ft. I filled tanks for months with never a need to do it in port. Only downside is less than perfect moisture removal in the separators. That just means you need your tanks rolled once a year.
3 cu ft/min fill up to 3000 psi. Perfect. 30 min to fill a tank. Runs on unleaded gas. The Briggs and Stratton is 4-cycle so no oil in the gas - easy to obtain. I just pulled mine out to start using in my shop, and the B&S started on the third pull after 20 years in storage. Refurbing the rings now.
Look for a used RIX. Above comments about the money it will take are correct.

Of course everyone knows I sell compressors and provide free advise. The converted military Kidde compressor provide excellant small size,weight and with gas engine 4.2 CFM to 4500PSi continuous duty. A number of scubaboard members have my units and at $3100 with grade E air -- tough to beat.
Jim Shelden
< sheldensportinggoods.com >

Back
Top Bottom