filling your own tanks on a small boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orchidius

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there

I am an amateur diver and avid sailor with the wild idea to sail across the atlantic ocean in my own boat. I'm Europe based, so in my case that would mean passing by spain, morocco, the azores and cruising the caribean for some time before returning. It speaks for itself that I would LOVE to take my gear with me to be able to dive all the beautiful sites I run into along the way. The problem however will be finding a spot to fill up my tanks every time...

So, my question to you guys:

Is there a way to fill up your own tanks that doesn't require extremely expensive and/or complex equipment? The more low-tech the better, also (since it's on a boat) the smaller the better. This will probably sound extremely stupid, but I was thinking maybe small air compressors or even footpumps? (how long it takes to fill the tanks is not an issue at all).

Thanks!

PS: This has already been discussed a little here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...456296-filling-your-own-tanks-small-boat.html, but I have been advised that this subforum would be the place to be for more specific information and perhaps even price-ranges.

Bauer Jr with a gas or diesel engine drive.

Anything else is really not going to work.

If you love diving, it is worth finding a place on the boat for the compressor. We had one on our Ericson 39 and have one on our Ericson 46. We bought the 46 specifically to have somewhere not the main cabin to store the compressor. However if we had to do the 39 and have the compressor under the table again we would do it in a heart beat.

Other people went hiking we went diving. Three dives or so a day in some really remote and wonderful places.

If Diving is going to be part of your cruising itinerary just reef your wallet, and get what works.

The other great thing is that if you go the Bauer route they generally have a fairly good resale value. (Additionally look locally for a used one!)

Guy
:)

Another compressor option is the Rix Industries SA3 or 6.
If you dive warm waters and use aluminium tanks it really doesn't need secondary filters.
It also has the advantage of only burping out clean water when drained.
Disadvantage is it is noisier and vibrates more than the Bauer.
You will need 5-6+ kw generator to run on electricity in a permanent installation.

......just saw that it's a 9m boat. Most likely no generator.
Any compressor you get probably won't fit in a cockpit locker so you'll either need a custom box to keep it on deck or keep it down below somewhere and haul it out to use. It will weigh at least 35kg.
......getting air fills from a shop will be much cheaper and simpler.

I have supplied many compressors for boats -- Electric, Gas, and Hydraulic drive. I don't have a picture of one the size you need however, this option exists. Belt drive a 4 CFM compressor with lower RPM 2000 vs. 3450 using 4HP gas engine vs. a 6.5 HP and a combination moisture trap and filter (which I assemble re-packable and grade E air) and limit the pressure at 3200PSI.
The frame for this unit will be 29" long, 17" wide and 25" tall (Filter height). Weight about 125 pounds
Using a rebuilt Kidde compressor, this unit can pump several tanks without stopping to cool off.
PM me for price and availability.
===============================
Jim Shelden 316-992-0505
sheldensportinggoods.com

It will indeed never be very practical or easy on a 9m boat, but for those who have been on a sailing boat that size know that nothing REALLY is... I have plenty of room to put it (to be hauled out every time), but that'll mean that I'll be down one crate of beer even before starting... Not àll too bad ^^

The catch is going to be in the price... I'm not willing to pay 5000$ for a compressor (that's nearly what I paid for the boat before restoration), but I'm also not willing to haul well over a cubic metres of scubagear with me on a 9m live-aboard sailing cruiser on a 20.000km trip if I'll only be getting one dive a week on average.

Are second hand or rebuilt compressors an option? Or certain types of tanks that make a low-budget compressor possible (I still need to buy tanks)? Or maybe some other crazy ideas? Heck, if it wasn't for some serious thinking-out-of-the-box the boat would never have gotten ready in the first place :p

Cheap and breathing air compressor dont go in the same sentence together. What power options do you have on the boat? You are most likely having to go with gas or diesel drive. Jim's rebuilt compressors could be a very good option for you.

A hand or foot pump is out of the question as you would never get nearly the pressure or volume you need.

There actually IS a hand pump that can fill a scuba tank. It is used by the air gun community and with the proper filtration can be adapted. However it is REAL slow. So by the time you get your tank full, you would have HUGE arms!:D

The air gun pumps would likely take a day for a team of 2-3 people to pump up a single 80. Call me lazy, but i would work on my breath holding.

Lets face it. If you arent willing to invest at least a few grand for a fill station, don't bother trying to cheese something together. It is a different story if you come across a great deal on a used piece of equipment, but breathing air needs to be clean and dry. Consistently clean and dry air come at a price.

The catch is going to be in the price... I'm not willing to pay 5000$ for a compressor (that's nearly what I paid for the boat before restoration), but I'm also not willing to haul well over a cubic metres of scubagear with me on a 9m live-aboard sailing cruiser on a 20.000km trip if I'll only be getting one dive a week on average.

There in lies your problem. You don't want to spend the money it will take to make it happen. Folks who deal with boat and yacht dive systems in my area have a general saying when it comes to dealing with sailboaters, this is their mantra " The wind is free, so should everything else be!" Folks here know I will try and help with any question I can and I have helped a few. You just can't help cheap! The solutions for you would be suck it up and spend the money, rent/fill your bottles in port or forget about diving with scuba.

PM Jim Sheldon. I'm very happy with my unit from him.

Back
Top Bottom