Fill anywhere DIN valve on pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divad

Contributor
Reaction score
I switched to a convertable DIN/Yoke valve on my pony and the DIN first stage really cleaned it up. I'm thinking I can use the Yoke insert as a plug (with a relief hole in it)and as a fill adapter if I'm somewhere they don't do DIN. Is there something I'm not getting and this is just another crackpot scheme?

Is there something I'm not getting and this is just another crackpot scheme?
Nope, that'll work fine, just make sure you have the tool to install and remove it. I found a very compact hex wrench at a car parts shop for working on brakes that fits.

Roak

I switched to a convertable DIN/Yoke valve on my pony and the DIN first stage really cleaned it up. I'm thinking I can use the Yoke insert as a plug (with a relief hole in it)and as a fill adapter if I'm somewhere they don't do DIN. Is there something I'm not getting and this is just another crackpot scheme?

I have the convertible Thermo valve on most of my cylinders and dive them as DIN. I always run MY inserts into the valves before going into the fill station. I would rather have my clean threads running in there than some beat up DIN whip. Besides almost all of the fill whips in the region are yoke. This makes it easy to walk in and have them hook a bank of my cylinders for filling.

Nothing wrong with your plan at all.

I think you will find that you want to just barely snug them in. If you get too firm the insert will take the lean of the threads and yoke whips will have a hard time mating to it.

Pete

Thanks for the most excellent tips re my not so crackpot scheme.

Nope, that'll work fine, just make sure you have the tool to install and remove it. I found a very compact hex wrench at a car parts shop for working on brakes that fits.

Roak

Several of them, scattered among your belongings!

Thanks for the most excellent tips re my not so crackpot scheme.

Not crackpot at all, that's what they're there for. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom