Fiji vs. Palau vs. Tahiti

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

menemsha43

Contributor
Reaction score
For those of you who have been to all three or two of the three, what are your thoughts on which place to go to first? I'm sure you can't go wrong with any of them but I'm curious if one location stands head and shoulders above the others. Also, any recommendation on the top liveaboards in each area would also be really helpful. I've never been diving in that part of the world and am pretty ignorant. Thanks so much.

menemsha43:
For those of you who have been to all three or two of the three, what are your thoughts on which place to go to first? I'm sure you can't go wrong with any of them but I'm curious if one location stands head and shoulders above the others. Also, any recommendation on the top liveaboards in each area would also be really helpful. I've never been diving in that part of the world and am pretty ignorant. Thanks so much.

Done both Fiji and Palau on Aggressor. Haven't been to Tahiti.

I found Fiji the best when it comes to soft coral and "general" small fish life. The pinnacles concentrate fish activity, so it is truly impressive.

Palau was almost as good as Fiji on the soft corals, with much more "big stuff" - sharks, eagle rays, ...

The Fiji Aggressor is the old Se Ri Wa (spelling) so it does not look like the other Aggressor boats. Good part - it only takes 10 divers. Bad part - not as many creature comforts. Non-existent sun deck. No BBQ, hot tub, ... Samll dive platform

Palau Aggressor is a dream. Diving is done by tender that loads at dive deck level, then goes down incline type elevator to the water. On the return, tender is driven onto the elevator platform, then up you go to the deck level where you step off onto the main deck.

I see you are from NYC. To get to Fiji, I assume you would fly NY to LA to Fiji. To get to Palau, it would be NY to Honolulu to Guam to Palau.

If I only could do one of the two, I would do Palau, since it has both big and little (macro) stuff as well as soft coral, Blue Corner, Jellyfish Lake(a GREAT snorkel) and you can do a very easy kayak day snorkeling trip with Sams before you fly home.

As someone who worked in all 3 locations, also on the Aggressor, i would also say Palau.

Palau doesn't have as much big action as Tahiti, but it has great big action.
Doesn't have quite the soft coral of Fiji but it has some fantastic soft corals.
Doesn't have the wrecks like Truk, but it has some great wrecks...
Doesn't have the same macro as Indonesia, but it has great macro

As you can see it might not be the absolute #1 best of a lot of things but it has really great of a little bit of everything.
Definitely the best well rounded place i have ever been...

M
ps then you top it off by coming here to Yap for some great manta action!
:) oops sales pitch....

Mike Veitch:
As someone who worked in all 3 locations, also on the Aggressor, i would also say Palau.

Palau doesn't have as much big action as Tahiti, but it has great big action.
Doesn't have quite the soft coral of Fiji but it has some fantastic soft corals.
Doesn't have the wrecks like Truk, but it has some great wrecks...
Doesn't have the same macro as Indonesia, but it has great macro

As you can see it might not be the absolute #1 best of a lot of things but it has really great of a little bit of everything.
Definitely the best well rounded place i have ever been...

M
ps then you top it off by coming here to Yap for some great manta action!
:) oops sales pitch....

I agree with Mike and all counts. We did Yap for a week and then Palau. IIn '07 we willl likely do Truk/Palau. If you are going all that way, you might as well take the extra week.

As far as liveaboards, we used the Big Blue Explorer. Its not luxury like the Aggressor, but still great and lots of room.

I've dived all three and would agree that Palau is ahead on points, with Fiji a close 2nd for its soft coral colour and I'd rate Tahiti third (although I only dived around Moorea). I dived from the Big Blue Explorer as well as several onshore operators at Palau last October and was a little diappointed in the Big Blue - an old Fish chaser boat that smells of diesel and fish - very small cabins but still OK....just for such a big boat there is actually little usable space. Not as good value or as luxurious as "The Moodhummaa" which I've dived from twice in The Maldives (which I also rate very highly..)
Palau has the best dive I've ever done in 25 years - Blue Corner and it is an amazingly beautiful place. BUT....Fiji wins hands down for local culture and soft corals - the people are the friendliest and proudest you are ever likely to meet.

Hope this helps.

WIggsy.

Done them all as well.

Tahiti is expensive compared to the others. Attitudes weren't always so good. The Japanese tourists are the best.

Fiji has awesome people and great diving.

Palau was on a liveaboard so you don't see many local people. i did the Big Blue Explorer. I was happy with it and particularly appreciated two chase boats for safety and smaller groups diving and the price difference was significant. I found the food good and the room adequate and the dive staff great.

Liveaboard is definitely the way to go to just dive, dive, dive, with a lot of beautiful sunsets thrown in.

menemsha43:

menemsha43:

I think the first thing you need to do is make a list of things you want on your vacation. Each location has different specialties. Tahiti has beautiful sand beaches and wonderful remote islands but not much soft coral. Plenty of sharks, whales (if you go to the right places).
Fiji is colorful water scene and reef fishy. They wouldn't shoot a IMAX film here for nothing. Also very exclusive resorts for special occasions.
Palau is dive mecca for the pelagic oriented with a mix of wreck, coral and pelagics. A few nice resorts but also touristy city and lots of people. Peleliu is also awesome.
Each area has their own strong points. Not much point comparing apples to oranges if you're looking for a durian.

scubashooter:
Not much point comparing apples to oranges if you're looking for a durian.

Durian?!?! Mmmm, brings back the sweet smell of SE Asia....or would that be the smell of a rotten onion.... :dry:

But Drew has a point

Thank you all very much for the responses. This is really helpful. It confirms a lot of my research but hearing directly from those who have been is always best. I'll let you know how it shakes out. Thanks again.

Shasta_man:
i did the Big Blue Explorer. I was happy with it and particularly appreciated two chase boats for safety and smaller groups diving and the price difference was significant. I found the food good and the room adequate and the dive staff great.

Liveaboard is definitely the way to go to just dive, dive, dive, with a lot of beautiful sunsets thrown in.

hi shasta_man,

thank u for ur comments on BBE. it was very encouraging and tought me what was waiting for me.

i'm leaving friday next week to enjoy BBE in palau. it took me six months to prepare this trip 'cause i was determined to dive my dolphin there. i want to express my gratitude to the staff of explorer fleet in manila office, as they have been very helpful

now it's all over, and the only thing left is to hop on the flight.

ken chung ar

Back
Top Bottom