Fiji Suggestions - Land Based

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NitroxAZ

Registered
Reaction score
I need some help. We have never been to the South Pacific and are looking at Fiji for our next dive trip. This is going to be a present for my wife's birthday. Where do you recommend we stay and dive? We have no experience in this neck of the woods and are looking for your expertise. Thanks in advance.

What a great birthday present! We just returned yesterday and I recommend Fiji as a dive destination to anyone who is interested.

I researched the areas that interested us most in terms of diving. Once we had decided what areas we wanted to dive we were able to narrow down the choices of where to stay.

First we stayed at Wananavu Resort on the main island of Viti Levu. The resort was great - beautiful grounds and an amazing staff. The diving was AMAZING! We dove the Bligh Waters and were not even slightly disappointed. The only disappointment was the dive shop. They use Ra Divers. While the operation was professional and the divemasters were good, the boats left something to be desired. We had a great time diving with them and my understanding is that new boats are on order...

The highlight of our trip was an 8 night stay at Garden Island Resort on the island of Taveuni. From the moment we arrived we were blissfully happy. This resort is a model for what dive resorts should be. Keep in mind I said "dive resort". This is not a five star accomodation, but it is the only place on the island of Taveuni with 24 hour electricity (they operate on generators) and I REALLY enjoyed the newly remodeled rooms with the great air conditioning...Fiji gets really hot during the day. The staff were remarkably friendly...I cried when we left! Food was delicious and plentiful, dining schedule was flexible to accomodate divers. The dive operation was the BEST. I loved their boats. They were very roomy with wide bench seats and a rack under the seats for spare tanks...lots of room to move around. The dive sites are to die for, including the "Great White Wall" and other notable sites. I would recommend this area, known as "The Rainbow Reef" for diving - it is truly breathtaking.

Hope this helps...

Your wife is a lucky lady!

I also want to recommend Garden Island Resort - ocean views, amazing diving, great food and air-conditioning. There is lots to do on Taveuni also offers lots to do on land.

If you are looking at a more rustic vacation you should consider Matava Resort on Kadavu. An eco-friendly resort with romantic bures in a remote location. Delicious chef prepared meals are eaten together with your fellow guests and one of the worlds largest barrier reefs on your door step.

Top shelf liveaboards are also operate in Fiji - Island Dancer II.

If you are for pelagic then I would suggested diving in Wakaya/ Ovalau and staying in Levuka.
I saw my first Hammerhead there and there were manta rays as well.

Last edited:
I need some help. We have never been to the South Pacific and are looking at Fiji for our next dive trip. This is going to be a present for my wife's birthday. Where do you recommend we stay and dive? We have no experience in this neck of the woods and are looking for your expertise. Thanks in advance.

I would definitely look at Wananavu Resort. Here is a trip report that was posted by someone (not me) on another board:
Awoosh Fiji

also, here is her slideshow (download and play direct on your computer, as long as it isn't a Mac) Awoosh 2024 X 768 Multimedia Slideshows

this report and slideshow has us convinced we need to go there!!

robin:D

You might want to talk to Scott Kukral at SeaFiji travel. He was VERY helpful when my wife and I stayed on Taveuni Island at Taveuni Island resort. I do, of course, recommend that establishment. It isn't cheap, but I guarantee your wife will be VERY pleased. Have fun in Fiji!

I've only been to Beqa and Matangi, both of which I enjoyed. Quite different,
as Beqa is a dive resort, and Matangi is more of a honeymooner place, with
diving available. Food at Beqa is very good, food at Matangi is way better.
Employees at both very nice.

We were at Matangi for 10 days. Small dive boat, sometimes just my girlfriend and I,
sometimes 2-3 other divers. We did the boat dive 5 days, made a couple of
shore dives and some snorkels, hiked, took day trip to a park on Taveuni, sailed,
kayaked.

MATANGI ISLAND RESORT, Fiji, South Pacific -- via U.S. Dive Travel.

We used dolphindestiny.com. Check around for rates; we got a better deal than
the going rate -- still pretty expensive.

I just wanted to thank everyone for the info. I am researching all of it to find the best spot for us. Thanks again.

I was extremely impressed with the knowledge Linda Gutekunst at South Seas Adventures - Resorts, Cruises, Hotels, Diving in the South Pacific had. She travels several times a year to Fiji, she has stayed at almost every resort. She was able to provide first hand comparisons that were helpful - she is a diver, which is important for comparing. I am more of a do it your self kind of person - I always seem to find the best rates on line; However South Seas had the best rates - I am sure from years of Fiji trips she has been able to negotiate these prices. Ultimately I did book thru my LDS so they could have the commission (I spoke with them first). I thanked Linda at South Seas and let her know I would for sure pass on her info to anyone asking, as she was extremely knowledgeable and friendly.

We are going to Paradise Taveuni, Matangi Private Island, and Beqa Lagoon Resort. I tried to book places in the best diving areas, good rates, and lovely resorts. We are upgraded to beachfront at all spots and I did not pay even close to the rack rate. Don't be afraid to negotiate, I got deals at all three locations. Good Luck finding the right spot for you!

www.MatangiPrivateIsland.com
Scuba Diving in Fiji | Taveuni Accommodation | Taveuni Resort
Beqa Lagoon Resort (Marlin Bay) - homepage

Hi Robin,

Thanks so much for offering links to my Fiji stuff on Awoosh and for your kind words. I would like to post a thread in this forum for my Wananavu/Ra report, but as I am an infrequent poster, SB will not (yet) let me post to outside URLs - and I can't even quote your post as it has urls in it!

I am working at making the minimum 5 required posts today :)

I can't say enough good things about Bligh diving - but in my opinion not for newbies (except in the most benign conditions) or for folks who can not stomach long surface rides to sites.

J.

Back
Top Bottom