Fiji Invitation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is anyone planning to do some diving from the resort in Fiji?

We get into Fiji on the 14th or 15th (not sure... need all of our itineraries confirmed through our local dive planner extradinaire). We will be diving several days (3 I think) during the first week we are there before most of you all arrive. Need to get a number of dives in so we can both break the 100 dive mark on the boat.

And Marie is a non-camera diver as well....

And Marie is a non-camera diver as well....

yeah...another one for the non photog team:wink: we will get first dibs on the lounge chairs on the sundeck after the dive while the others are fiddling with their camera's :D

You all are having way too much fun before even getting on the boat! I would say take some pics for me, but it seems that will already be well covered. :D I would love to be tagging along, but I am headed back to the States for my sister's wedding! Enjoy everyone!!!

You all are having way too much fun before even getting on the boat! I would say take some pics for me, but it seems that will already be well cover. :D I would love to be tagging along, but I am headed back to the States for my sister's wedding! Enjoy everyone!!!

Hey Jake....we will miss you this trip.....but I know you are having the time of your life in Thailand....love your blog.....welcome home even if it is only temporary...keep in touch:)

You all are having way too much fun before even getting on the boat! I would say take some pics for me, but it seems that will already be well covered. :D I would love to be tagging along, but I am headed back to the States for my sister's wedding! Enjoy everyone!!!

Hey, you could have been there ex-roomie!! I agree with Ann - love the blog....We'll miss ya.

Woo hoo!!! I am so excited for the trip. Are any of you going early and staying at Wananavu? Also, have any of you that has done a liveaboard before used the patch for seasickness prevention? If so, what were the pros/cons of using it?

Some more reading from Doc Vikingo about sea sickness:

Doc Vikingo's Sea Sickness Remedies

Doc Vikingo's Scopace Patch

Doc Vikingo's Ginger for Seasickness?

We'll be arriving on the afternoon of the 17th. I think our flight gets in ~ noon. We're planning on meeting up with BurBunny upstairs in the Bradley International terminal about mid-afternoon.
I don't get there until 7:30 PM. I had a choice of several non-stop flights from PDX.

I will be getting in a little later than you guys.....I think Sue and I arrive around the same time....soooo I guess y'all will be ahead of us on the cocktail hour:wink:
don't get there until 7:30 PM, but I have a "short" non-stop flight. Were do y'all thing you'll be at that time? I'm looking forward to meeting up.

I know we are suppose to visit a Fijian village on one day....and I have heard they ask for school supplies but we haven't been given any info on that yet....
I'm hoping to get more information on this too. I don't want to be "giftless" where we arrive for a village visit.

parrotheaddiver:
Oh yeah and we will all need Sulu's...yeah even you guys:wink:
I read on the Nai'a website :
Among the complementary gifts you'll find in your stateroom when you arrive is a sulu, which is mandatory for the village and awfully comfortable the rest of the time, too.

Very odd - I seem to be missing several quoted posts here, and wasn't advised of new posts for the last week :( Oh well, to catch people up...

The shore diving at Wananavu is... well, not what you'd really want out of diving in Fiji. There is a house reef, about 30' max, and all about muck diving with poorish vis. But, for those who opted out of the boat diving options (you'll kick yourselves later when you hear what we got to see/do), it's a decent way to check out gear at least before we get onboard Nai'a.

All of us in our group will be at Wananavu at least 2 nights before boarding Nai'a. 2 go out a bit early, two will meet us in Nadi airport coming in from Australia, and the rest of us will be on the same Air Pacific flight.

As for meeting up in the LAX airport, I'll give everyone an idea of where to find us (the exact location will depend on where we can stake out space), and my cell number (by email for obvious reasons). Included will be information on how to check in for the flight - please don't do so before coming upstairs to the group.

On the seasickness, I don't generally recommend people use scopolmine patches when diving. While some divers are fine with it, it does have frequent side effects which are not good for divers - such as dry mouth and vision issues. If you do want to try it, be sure to do so before the trip to see how it effects you - it can be pretty dramatic for some.

I use meclizine (the generic form of less-drowsy Dramamine and Bonine). I take it at night, so whatever drowsy effects it has are gone in the morning. I also supplement it with ginger tablets and candied ginger when necessary (I'm very motion sensitive). The ginger mints I like are Newman's Own Ginger Mints. Yummy! And I get bottled candied ginger from the grocery store (I've found the bulk candied ginger from natural markets doesn't seem as potent to me).

Three weeks from tomorrow!!!

Very odd - I seem to be missing several quoted posts here, and wasn't advised of new posts for the last week :( Oh well, to catch people up...

The shore diving at Wananavu is... well, not what you'd really want out of diving in Fiji. There is a house reef, about 30' max, and all about muck diving with poorish vis. But, for those who opted out of the boat diving options (you'll kick yourselves later when you hear what we got to see/do), it's a decent way to check out gear at least before we get onboard Nai'a.

All of us in our group will be at Wananavu at least 2 nights before boarding Nai'a. 2 go out a bit early, two will meet us in Nadi airport coming in from Australia, and the rest of us will be on the same Air Pacific flight.

As for meeting up in the LAX airport, I'll give everyone an idea of where to find us (the exact location will depend on where we can stake out space), and my cell number (by email for obvious reasons). Included will be information on how to check in for the flight - please don't do so before coming upstairs to the group.

On the seasickness, I don't generally recommend people use scopolmine patches when diving. While some divers are fine with it, it does have frequent side effects which are not good for divers - such as dry mouth and vision issues. If you do want to try it, be sure to do so before the trip to see how it effects you - it can be pretty dramatic for some.

I use meclizine (the generic form of less-drowsy Dramamine and Bonine). I take it at night, so whatever drowsy effects it has are gone in the morning. I also supplement it with ginger tablets and candied ginger when necessary (I'm very motion sensitive). The ginger mints I like are Newman's Own Ginger Mints. Yummy! And I get bottled candied ginger from the grocery store (I've found the bulk candied ginger from natural markets doesn't seem as potent to me).

Three weeks from tomorrow!!!

Not soon enough!! The waiting is torture. I get there at about 2 so just look for me :happywave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom