Fiji Airways Baggage Allowances

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We're taking the same route in April, TUL-LAX-NAN, then NAN-TVU. A Fiji air rep suggested to book one ticket from TUL-TUV and we wouldn't be restricted to the 33lb rule.

Called AA and they couldn't do the NAN-TVU segment even though we will be using Fiji air from LAX-NAN and NAN-TVU. It may have been because we are using miles for TUL-LAX-NAN, dunno.

Anyway, we are taking our usual 50lb checked bags and it's like 4usd every 2.2lbs so if for me my higher math is correct it looks like $32 each, each way.
Was going to call the airline to see if the domestic flights would have the international rules since they are all on the same ticket (in this case all booked with Fiji Airways directly). Sounds like that's the case, so that's helpful. Thanks!!

Many years ago we went to Fiji (Matangi and flew into Taveuni) - DEN to LAX to NAN and the restrictions were about the same. We had dive gear, packed heavy and had camera equipment. Our Nandi to Taveuni flight was not Fiji Air and can't remember who it was (turboprop). We did have a mechanical delay but found a little cafe outside the airport.
However we checked in early and the flight was not full and the gate person was not at all concerned about weight. Could be different on full flights. We were prepared to pay extra. I can say that on all the flights we were not charged extra. Remember this was many years ago. Maybe they enforce more now but the point is to prepare to pay extra for weight.
In our travels I have found that the domestic airlines in these places are far more accommodating and nice than the US.
(We also had an unscheduled stop in Vanua Levu (Savusavu) on the way out to Nandi from Taveuni)
A fairly recent trip to French Polynesia had the same restrictions on weight but we had no issues or charges.

Just received this...

Thank you for contacting Fiji Airways.

Yes, you'll have enough time to connect to your Matei flight. (Landing in NAN at 4:40am with connecting flight to TVU at 7:15am)

Are you flying internationally and domestically on the same ticket? If they are, your baggage allowance for the entire trip to Matei will be 50 pounds. If you are traveling on separate tickets, each ticket's baggage allowance will apply. ( 50 pounds because that's what I told them I was bringing)

For additional information on the baggage/excess bag fee, please click on the following link: https://www.fijiairways.com/baggage-and-optional-charges

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you require any additional assistance.
Thank you for sharing useful information. Could you please let us known how did your trip go? How was the flight? What resort did you stay? How was the resort? How was the diving? What are the conditions of corals? Do you have any videos/photos to share? Many thanks.

Thank you for sharing useful information. Could you please let us known how did your trip go? How was the flight? What resort did you stay? How was the resort? How was the diving? What are the conditions of corals? Do you have any videos/photos to share? Many thanks.
Laval, we won't be back until early May, spending 9 nites at Garden Island Resort for diving, then 5 nites on Navini for our 40th Anniversary. This will be our first trip not in the caribbean.

We're taking the same route in April, TUL-LAX-NAN, then NAN-TVU. A Fiji air rep suggested to book one ticket from TUL-TUV and we wouldn't be restricted to the 33lb rule.

This is how we did it as well. I'm over here in NWA so not too far from you :) I'm doing XNA -> LAX then LAX -> NAN -> TVU (via fiji airways)

We're scheduled to go April 24th - May 6th and stay at Paradise, which will be our first trip to Fiji.

This is how we did it as well. I'm over here in NWA so not too far from you :) I'm doing XNA -> LAX then LAX -> NAN -> TVU (via fiji airways)

We're scheduled to go April 24th - May 6th and stay at Paradise, which will be our first trip to Fiji.
Hi neighbor, we'll be on TVU April 17-27, may see you on the reef.

Planning a trip to Fiji in 2022 that will include both international flights (round trip LAX to NAN) and domestic flights (RT from NAN to Taveuni). Their baggage allowances don't seem remotely diver friendly.

International
1 checked bag up to 66lbs
1 carryon up to 15lbs
1 personal item

Domestic
1 checked bag up to 33lbs
1 carryon up to 15lbs
1 personal item (presumably)

I typically travel with one checked bag that has dive gear and clothing and comes in close to 15lbs. My roller bag carryon usually has camera gear and reg and frequently comes in pretty heavy (around 30lbs). My backpack has laptop and other items.

Thoughts on how to navigate this? I think my two biggest challenges are:
- The domestic round trip checked bag is limited to 33lbs. Seems like that effectively limits my international bag as well (though I can send some things back with family that isn't joining me for Taveuni)
- Carryon bag limit will be tough with camera gear.

Things I'm thinking of doing:
- Leave the BCD behind and rent one
- Pack heavier camera gear in the personal item backpack (which I don't think is weight limited)
- Have some camera gear in a photo vest that I'll wear (and also shouldn't count against limits)
- Find the lightest possible carryon bag so that I'm not wasting weight on the bag itself

Given how many divers go to Fiji, I can't be the only one who struggles with this. What are your strategies??

Thanks!
I have flown LAX to NAN as recently as 2019. They did weight carry-ons both directions and if over 15 lbs or thereabouts, you were likely to have to check it, even if it was camera gear. I guess they don't always do it because I have seen people say they did not experience it. For checked luggage, just pay for an extra bag. Compared to renting dodgy gear or leaving important stuff behind or upgrading your fare class, it is not that expensive.

For carry-on, and if you are unwilling to gate check, make sure your bag is not over 15 lbs when they weigh it. Photo vest, helpful fellow traveler, helium balloons or whatever. Or hope they don't weigh it and if they do, have a plan B. Be aware that currently their website says only one item in cabin, including personal item. I don't know if that is really true, or if it will remain so, but that's what it says right now.

I have flown LAX to NAN as recently as 2019. They did weight carry-ons both directions and if over 15 lbs or thereabouts, you were likely to have to check it, even if it was camera gear. I guess they don't always do it because I have seen people say they did not experience it. For checked luggage, just pay for an extra bag. Compared to renting dodgy gear or leaving important stuff behind or upgrading your fare class, it is not that expensive.

For carry-on, and if you are unwilling to gate check, make sure your bag is not over 15 lbs when they weigh it. Photo vest, helpful fellow traveler, helium balloons or whatever. Or hope they don't weigh it and if they do, have a plan B. Be aware that currently their website says only one item in cabin, including personal item. I don't know if that is really true, or if it will remain so, but that's what it says right now.
I'm going to Taveuni in August - flying business class and booked as LAX to TVU. Here is what my baggage allowance shows as:
B31A1C37-A71D-4B3A-B30D-B0C8A33720F1.jpeg

If you still have not booked your flights, you might want to look into flying on Air New Zealand for the leg between LAX and Nadi. I have not looked, but you might have better luck with them. (I did when I went to Fiji several years ago.)

Fiji Airways does have a flat rate sports baggage fee. You might ask about that. And booking the domestic flights and international flights on one ticket is usually the solution.

• Bulky items consist of any 'one' piece exceeding 158cm (62in) but not exceeding 277cm (109in) in total dimension [length + width + height], at a maximum weight of 23kg (50lbs), Some examples of items that can exceed the required dimension or weight are (but not limited to) surfboards, golf bags, and other sporting or music equipment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom