FG Spree trip 7/16-18

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TwoBitTxn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I know I'm a little slow with this. I've been busy.

The trip down South was a mess, and as I understand it, it could have been worse. I got hung up in the traffic from an accident in Corsicana. A pick-up got rear-ended by a big rig and sandwiched into another rig. 3 dead. God have mercy on their souls.

I still made the boat on time.

Trip out was uneventful. We tied up to bouy #2 on the west bank. This was a first at this bouy for me as it is right next to the drop off. We didn't get to see anything big, but it was still neat to look off into the deep blue. 1-2' waves, light winds, 80-100' vis.

Dive two was about the same.

I was diving 32% the whole trip and my shortest dive was 45 minutes. The crew said no go for the rig trip :frown: due to a large number of inexperienced divers. We did have one diver panic shortly after hitting the water on the first dive.

We moved to the East bank as normal and made two dives on bouy 6 and moved to #5 because the U bolt was in poor condition. I got fixated on sailfin blennies and yellowhead jaw fish on #6 in the sand flats.

Night dive I saw an adult spotted drum and an adult highhat. Many of the other normal stuff.

During the night dive the wind picked up and the waves did to. I had the opportunity to take a ladder ride in about 4-5' waves. Day dive not so bad, I don't like ladder rides at night.

Stetson and the weather is worse. 4-6' waves and about half the boat is sea sick. Some are very sick.

Two dives, one really big stingray. I dropped over the wall on this one. One ladder ride, the second dive I timed it just right and climbed right on up.

7 dives over 5 hours underwater. Fun trip.

Others saw sharks, turtles, and we had some dolphins come play briefly in the wakes.

TwoBit

Those sudden condition changes and ladder rides aren't fun. glad you had a good trip out.

Yep, a cold front came through on Saturday night and the seas went from 2-3 to 5-6's pretty quick. 10 people didn't dive the first dive at Stetson and 16 didn't do the the 2nd dive. They didn't like the ladder rides either.

Good report TwoBit...it was good seeing you again and looking forward to your next trip out.

-ZD

Zen,

Good to see you too. Post some of that video you shot. That was some good stuff. Especially the turtle that wanted to sit on your head.

TwoBit

I am working on it buddy, I am working on it, but it seems that work is getting in the way of my play time. :) I will get it done and posted to the other page of videos that I have already posted. I will let ya know when it is ready. BTW, thanks for the compliment!

For my own edification, what is a "ladder ride"?

parrotheaddiver:
The real fun on ladder rides is when you use one hand to take off your fins and the other one to hang on. can you say bull riding.

I have a pair of fin straps that I use so you clip your fins on the bottom of your BC. It helps keep your hands free. It's especially handy to avoid getting the ladder line wrapped around your arms on the way out.

I was out on the Fling last month, our first day was so calm the current line and the inflatable were floating around the sides of the boat and divers were holding the side line out so that it didn't go under the boat. Day two was a different story . . .

-Frank

frankdr:
I have a pair of fin straps that I use so you clip your fins on the bottom of your BC. It helps keep your hands free. It's especially handy to avoid getting the ladder line wrapped around your arms on the way out.

I was out on the Fling last month, our first day was so calm the current line and the inflatable were floating around the sides of the boat and divers were holding the side line out so that it didn't go under the boat. Day two was a different story . . .

Frank, that works OK in calm seas but in rough seas it can be hard to clip fins anywhere, it's hard enough just hanging on to the them when you take them off.

If you don't get in the habit of unclipping your fin strap, just slip it off the back of your foot, just slip them over each hand. Spring straps are perfect for this. That way your fins are secure, you won't take a chance on dropping one and your hands are free.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom