FFM Users, How Do You Wear A Hood?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Right In Scuba 2

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
With our Guardian FFM sale going on, we've been helping customers with their FFM needs along with other considerations. To that end we were "spitballing" around the shop on how divers like to wear their hoods with one. While some simple trim back their normal wetsuit or drysuit hood and simply have the edge of the hood over the FFM seal. There are also others like to wear a latex or specially designed one for FFM. Personally I like using one designed for use with a FFM that seals between the skin and mask seal, mainly because I have grown a beard and don't plan on shaving anytime soon. :D

I understand that PSD divers have contaminant concerns, so this is geared towards the rec/tec divers. How do you like to wear your hood with your FFM? Basically, I'm crowd-sourcing opinions here. And go...

TBone, I doubt there is much about you that is boring. How do you like the AGA? I've checked it out but never dove one.

When I dive in my OTS Guardian, I either wear a 7mm beanie, or if it's colder, I have a Pinnacle hood that I trimmed to clear the mask. I've always trimmed my hoods since I have never liked having to pull the edges of the hood over my mask.

rwkosh,

I like the beanie idea. What water temps do you normally dive in?

I've used the AGA and did not care for it. The nose block set up on the one I used was not optimal for me. It was nice to not have to have cold water on my face since we were using them on a New Year's Day dive. With the way the nose block was configured I had a bit of a time equalizing. Adjusting the position of it did not help. After using it I came very close to buying one of the last Oceanic FFM versions of the M48 mask. They had one left but I passed on it. I liked that you could equalize like a traditional mask.

Supposed to do an OTS workshop here in the next couple weeks. Right now I'm editing the new ERDI Full Face Mask course materials. The author knows his stuff and there is a lot of good info. I'm learning a great deal. The writing needs some work and that's why they contracted me to do it. They are a bit short handed for a task of this size.

This is addressed in the materials and what I'm seeing is some differences that are not only hood, but mask dependent as well. Some are said to seal better with certain types of hoods. I can see that clearly from the limited experience with the ones I have used. The AGA sealed well to both my skin and the hood I was using at the time. It did not have a latex ring around the face but the neoprene was very smooth. What I didn't like was the air in the mask migrating under it. Even with the hood I was using having a couple holes in it there was a fair bit of coneheading going on to borrow from SNL. It was not an issue when it was against bare skin as I recall.

Looking at the skirts on various FFM's I have to think that they play a significant role. Some appear to be easier to tuck under a hood than others. Working on these materials is really getting me anxious to try a few different ones.

I like it, prefer the Guardian but have more time on the AGA. Guardian is much more comfortable and I feel like the new mic for it works better for coms than the one in the AGA. I wish the damn Poseidon Atmosphere wasn't so bloody expensive, that one looks pretty slick and would certainly be nice to not have the proprietary regulator design stuck in there, but alas, not willing to pony up the $1200 they want for it which is completely bs. Not sure how well the OTS coms would go into the Atmosphere though, they certainly fit much better in the Guardian than they do in the AGA though.

What dedicated hoods are out there for FFM's? Never seen them before

Jim, I'm inclined to agree with you in the different models of FFM and their impact on types of hood used. I'm starting to wonder(thinking out loud here) if the trend of more men wearing beards nowadays will impact use of hood types typically seen with FFM. I know my Guardian does a decent job sealing when my beard is trimmed but, as it gets thicker the sealing hood is becoming increasingly useful.

---------- Post added February 18th, 2015 at 06:29 PM ----------

I like it, prefer the Guardian but have more time on the AGA. Guardian is much more comfortable and I feel like the new mic for it works better for coms than the one in the AGA. I wish the damn Poseidon Atmosphere wasn't so bloody expensive, that one looks pretty slick and would certainly be nice to not have the proprietary regulator design stuck in there, but alas, not willing to pony up the $1200 they want for it which is completely bs. Not sure how well the OTS coms would go into the Atmosphere though, they certainly fit much better in the Guardian than they do in the AGA though.

What dedicated hoods are out there for FFM's? Never seen them before

Thanks for the input, I really haven't had the opportunity to poll too many users of the AGA. I agree that the Atmosphere is a rather slick looking unit, but like most things with Poseidon there is the $$$ factor.

Seasoft makes a dedicated FFM hood in 3 and 6 mil. Or course you also have the latex option.

yeah, I've heard mixed reviews on it, but want to get one in the water at some point. I do like how the guardian comes with ABV standard and uses normal regulator hoses.

Will check out the seasoft hoods, thanks

I've used both AGA and Guardian for years. Neoprene hood goes over the skirt. If I'm using one of my Viking suits with integrated latex hood, it goes under the skirt.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom