Few questions about Mid-March Trip to Fiesta Americana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are staying at FA then just use the inhouse on site dive operator..It really is a no brainer. This way you have them right on the property if you need anything,no running around/phone calls to find them if elsewhere. Dive house has lockers on the dock at FA and you have access to tanks to shore dive as much as you wish to. I took a group to Casa Del Mar last May and DH was one of the operators there.No problem with the diving on their boat,as it had protection from the sun.Only issue I had was that they had to transport their tanks to Casa from FA for shore dives as they had no property at Casa and only were there on request.Life would have been easier if they had a bit of property there that is their own. I escourted the trip but had nothing to do with choosing the property or dive operator as the LDS owner did all that leg work and assigned me to work it.

If you are staying at FA then just use the inhouse on site dive operator..It really is a no brainer. This way you have them right on the property if you need anything,no running around/phone calls to find them if elsewhere. Dive house has lockers on the dock at FA and you have access to tanks to shore dive as much as you wish to. I took a group to Casa Del Mar last May and DH was one of the operators there.No problem with the diving on their boat,as it had protection from the sun.Only issue I had was that they had to transport their tanks to Casa from FA for shore dives as they had no property at Casa and only were there on request.Life would have been easier if they had a bit of property there that is their own. I escourted the trip but had nothing to do with choosing the property or dive operator as the LDS owner did all that leg work and assigned me to work it.

Well this has all been very helpful, so thanks again.

Our deepest dive to date has been about 65'. (I've gone to maybe 75' in a quarry once just for a moment) I guess if I had to throw out a number, I can do 50-55 minutes with an 80 tank at 50' or less. It's definitely worth paying more for a bigger tank and stay down longer to get "more bang for my buck" on each dive.

We're not "rookies"... but really just want to make sure we stay within our limits until we get a good feel for conditions.... and also don't inconvenience other more advanced divers for any reason.

I'm starting to lean to Dive House, as they are the "on-site" op, We're bringing our own full gear, so the lockers is a big plus.

And again, the hotel transport info has been very helpful.

Never used Dive House so I can't comment on them except to say they seem to have larger boats. I would imagine they are fine or they would not have lasted since there are so many great dive outfits to go with.

We have used Dive With Martin for years though. If you need/want a larger tank, just ask them for it and they will provide it at no extra charge. DWM's prices are on their website and run a little less per tank the more days you dive. They do seem to be one of the cheaper ops on the island, but they don't feel like it (and we have used other shops.) They have smaller boats, usually no more than 8 divers and you can dive your tank/computer. They will also keep your gear for you and have it on the boat the next day if you want them to. We have dive lockers available at the hotel we stay at, but usually just let them keep our gear all week. If you decide to go with DWM or any other dive op, they will pick you up at FA.

Best to decide what you want from a dive op and go from there.

Oh yeah...take the van from the airport. Buy your tickets for it at the airport and don't make eye contact with the time-share sales folks

Have a GREAT trip!

It's reasonable to want to know how much to expect to spend on this and that. Some are on budgets; others just don't want to open their wallets and let providers take as much as they want. Do take lots of small bills: $1, $2 (ask your bank), $5, $10 for tipping and such. Make sure they are not marked or torn.

Anytime I wear a shorty in Coz, I get stung by the floaters. Take hydrocortizone ointment. If you have the cheapest DAN insurance, upgrade. :wink:

Have a nice trip... :pilot:

Never used Dive House so I can't comment on them except to say they seem to have larger boats. I would imagine they are fine or they would not have lasted since there are so many great dive outfits to go with.

We have used Dive With Martin for years though. If you need/want a larger tank, just ask them for it and they will provide it at no extra charge. DWM's prices are on their website and run a little less per tank the more days you dive. They do seem to be one of the cheaper ops on the island, but they don't feel like it (and we have used other shops.) They have smaller boats, usually no more than 8 divers and you can dive your tank/computer. They will also keep your gear for you and have it on the boat the next day if you want them to. We have dive lockers available at the hotel we stay at, but usually just let them keep our gear all week. If you decide to go with DWM or any other dive op, they will pick you up at FA.

Best to decide what you want from a dive op and go from there.

Oh yeah...take the van from the airport. Buy your tickets for it at the airport and don't make eye contact with the time-share sales folks

Have a GREAT trip!

It's reasonable to want to know how much to expect to spend on this and that. Some are on budgets; others just don't want to open their wallets and let providers take as much as they want. Do take lots of small bills: $1, $2 (ask your bank), $5, $10 for tipping and such. Make sure they are not marked or torn.

Anytime I wear a shorty in Coz, I get stung by the floaters. Take hydrocortizone ointment. If you have the cheapest DAN insurance, upgrade. :wink:

Have a nice trip... :pilot:

Good advice. Really I'm just looking to be pre-prepared for the trip.

(More preparedness and advance knowledge) = (less time of befuddled mucking about and wasted money) = (more fun during actual trip)

Our deepest dive to date has been about 65'. (I've gone to maybe 75' in a quarry once just for a moment) I guess if I had to throw out a number, I can do 50-55 minutes with an 80 tank at 50' or less. It's definitely worth paying more for a bigger tank and stay down longer to get "more bang for my buck" on each dive..

Out of your two choices listed only Dive with Martin offers a choice in tank size, they are only aluminum 100s, but they are a free upgrade.

There are a couple of dive ops on the island who offer more choices in tank size if you're so inclined.

Out of your two choices listed only Dive with Martin offers a choice in tank size, they are only aluminum 100s, but they are a free upgrade.

There are a couple of dive ops on the island who offer more choices in tank size if you're so inclined.

The 100 and 120 steels are Aldora, Liquid Blue, Living Underwater at least. Must be a few more?

Deep Blue has AL 100's, for a "small extra charge", I don't know the exact cost.

The 100 and 120 steels are Aldora, Liquid Blue, Living Underwater at least. Must be a few more?

... fanboi...

yeah.gif

Back
Top Bottom