Few Dive Sites from Malpelo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interceptor121

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I was in Malpelo mid June with the Ferox. It exceeded my expectations in terms of diving. It was hardocore, big swell, sometimes current. surface conditions were rough so all negative entries in my case with my not so small camera

The following videos give an idea of two of the dive sites. One is the check dive (I wish I always did a check dive like that) and the other is one of the most visited ones for a reason.

One thing to take into account is was dark as we have overcast most time and some really strong showers. Will post a proper trip report of the ferox in due course but this should be a good appetiser

Great videos and glad you enjoyed the trip, I wish more boats had this number of single cabins. 201 days before I return - counting down the days:)

Thanks for describing the conditions & sharing the videos of the two dive sites in Malpelo. I was in Malpelo in July 2021. Dove in La Nevera about 4 times for the same reason everyone else did. Never dove in El Arrecife though.

@scubadada & I are coming back there again in 9 days from now. I’ll ask our guide, Sten “The Viking” Johansson of Diving Malpelo with Sten if we can check it out then too.

I looked to the location of El Arrecife, in my logbook, I think it’s very near to “Altar de Virginia”, where we did checkout dive too (see the Malpelo dive site map, below). We did see the school of Leather Bass hunting together with Fine spotted Morays, Galapagos Sharks & Bluefin Trevallies, as you did.

Did you see Whalesharks?

IMG_1741.jpeg

Thanks for describing the conditions & sharing the videos of the two dive sites in Malpelo. I was in Malpelo in July 2021. Dove in La Nevera about 4 times for the same reason everyone else did. Never dove in El Arrecife though.

@scubadada & I are coming back there again in 9 days from now. I’ll ask our guide, Sten “The Viking” Johansson of Diving Malpelo with Sten if we can check it out then too.

I looked to the location of El Arrecife, in my logbook, I think it’s very near to “Altar de Virginia”, where we did checkout dive too (see the Malpelo dive site map, below). We did see the school of Leather Bass hunting together with Fine spotted Morays, Galapagos Sharks & Bluefin Trevallies, as you did.

Did you see Whalesharks?

View attachment 792100

I am using the official names as provided by the park.
Sten had an accident on my trip hopefully he has recovered and is on your boat
Yes we had whale shark immediately on that dive (I missed to record it) and at after surfacing at el mostro we had one under our rib for a few minutes (video still to be done)
The water is warm and thermocline is deep personally I enjoyed more the shoals at dartagnan than hunting for sharks at david
However there is a tiger shark out there

Reactions: Dan
I am using the official names as provided by the park.
Sten had an accident on my trip hopefully he has recovered and is on your boat
Yes we had whale shark immediately on that dive (I missed to record it) and at after surfacing at el mostro we had one under our rib for a few minutes (video still to be done)
The water is warm and thermocline is deep personally I enjoyed more the shoals at dartagnan than hunting for sharks at david
However there is a tiger shark out there

Thanks for the info about Sten accident. Tanya updated @scubadada about him taking a week off to recover from the knee injury & was back on boat last Sunday.

Glad to hear you had Whaleshark encounter. I’m looking forward to such encounter & seeing a Tiger Shark too!

Last September I was in Cocos & saw 3 times, one encounter was with a pair of them in Manuelita Channel. There seem more Tiger Sharks sitting there now. In 2018 I saw none, in 2020 I saw 2 and last year I saw 3. Our group would need to stay together and keep our heads on a swivel or have our back against a wall.

Thanks for the info about Sten accident. Tanya updated @scubadada about him taking a week off to recover from the knee injury & was back on boat last Sunday.

Glad to hear you had Whaleshark encounter. I’m looking forward to such encounter & seeing a Tiger Shark too!

Last September I was in Cocos & saw 3 times, one encounter was with a pair of them in Manuelita Channel. There seem more Tiger Sharks sitting there now. In 2018 I saw none, in 2020 I saw 2 and last year I saw 3. Our group would need to stay together and keep our heads on a swivel or have our back against a wall.
Tiger shark is in the plateau at David if I recall from my notes. When there are tiger sharks normally there are no hammerheads which for me is one of the reasons we saw very few there
glad Sten is back, the upper deck of the boat is very slipper I told the operator to repaint it with anti slip rugged surface

Tiger shark is in the plateau at David if I recall from my notes. When there are tiger sharks normally there are no hammerheads which for me is one of the reasons we saw very few there
glad Sten is back, the upper deck of the boat is very slipper I told the operator to repaint it with anti slip rugged surface
@Dan and I did not get to dive David during our visit 2 years ago, it was too rough at that end of the island. We did have a great dive at La Ferreteria

@Dan and I did not get to dive David during our visit 2 years ago, it was too rough at that end of the island. We did have a great dive at La Ferreteria
Hopefully this time you can make the 3 kings on a calm day

Back
Top Bottom