Ferry to Cancun from Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

C2CMarci

Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone tell me if there is a ferry that goes from Cozumel directly in Cancun?
I have taken the Cozumel ferry that lands in Playa Del Carmen. I am just wondering if there is one available that lets off directly in Cancun and if so, where do you pick it up and where does it let off in Cancun?

Thanks, Marci

C2CMarci:
Hi,

Can anyone tell me if there is a ferry that goes from Cozumel directly in Cancun?
I have taken the Cozumel ferry that lands in Playa Del Carmen. I am just wondering if there is one available that lets off directly in Cancun and if so, where do you pick it up and where does it let off in Cancun?

Thanks, Marci

You might want to ask on the forum on www.playadelcarmeninfo.com though.

Here's some info..

Airport Transfer "Collectivo" or minivan direct from Cancun airport to Playa Del Carmen (approximately 45 minutes traveling time), then Ferry to Cozumel (approximately 40-50 minutes traveling time). Current cost is $15 US per person.

After baggage pick-up, as you walk towards the exit, there will be booths for transportation and taxis. At the booth, ask for a collectivo to Playa Del Carmen. You pay at the booth, receive a ticket and then proceed outside to where the minivans are. They will take your ticket and load your luggage. As soon as one van is filled, the van departs. The vans are readily available all day long.

Express Bus from Cancun Airport to Playa Del Carmen Bus Terminal
As soon as you pass immigration (green/red button) just after the transportation pavillions and just before the outdoors, there is a stand that says Express Bus to Playa Del Carmen. 65 pesos or $7.50 US. Purchase a ticket and there will be greyhound like buses outside. They are scheduled.

From Cancun

9:30am 10:30am 11:30am 12:30pm 1:30pm 2:30pm 4:30pm 5:30pm 6:30pm 7:30pm 8:30pm

From Playa Del Carmen

6:15am 7:15am 8:15am 9:30am 10:45am 11:45am 1:15pm 3:15pm 4:15pm 5:15pm 7:30pm

The drop will be downtown near or at the bus terminal in Playa Del Carmen. Just walk towards the waterfront. You will be able to see the ferry docks. Before the pier, there will be an information booth as well as a booth to purchase the tickets.

Playa Del Carmen to Cozumel (40-45 minutes traveling time)

Then from Playa Del Carmen, take the ferry to Cozumel Island. The ferry boat ride is about 40 minutes on the large boats and the about 50 minutes on the smaller, local ferry. Cost is the same for tourists. It docks right at the heart of the city, San Miguel in Cozumel. Current cost is $80 pesos.

Daily Ferry Schedule (Central Standard Time)
(schedules are subject to change)

Cozumel Island to Playa Del Carmen, Mexico Morning 5 am 7 am 8 am 9 am 10 am 12 pm
Afternoon 2 pm 4 pm 5 pm 6 pm 8 pm 10pm

Playa Del Carmen to Cozumel Island, Mexico Morning 6am 8am 9 am 10 am 11 am
Afternoon 1 pm 3 pm 5 pm 6 pm 7 pm 9 pm 11 pm

C2CMarci:
Hi,

Thanks, Marci

No. There is no ferry that runs directly between Cozumel and Cancun. There is a car ferry that runs from Porta Morelis, which is near Cancun to Cozumel but the people ferry between Cozumel and the mainland departs from Playa.

JK
http://www.mxtravel.com

If you don't have a car, the Playa ferry is the way to go. Even though the other ferry is closer to Cancun. Natasha has given a very good summary of how to get from Cancun to Playa for the ferry and vice versa.

That's the way to go.

Rich

mediakzar:
No. There is no ferry that runs directly between Cozumel and Cancun. There is a car ferry that runs from Porta Morelis, which is near Cancun to Cozumel but the people ferry between Cozumel and the mainland departs from Playa.

And even if you could take the ferry from P Morelos , you wouldn't want to; it's MUCH slower.

If you really didn't want to do the Coz/PDC ferry and van/bus/cab thing to Cancun, and you didn't have too much stuff, what about trying to hitch a ride from one of the dive ops from Cancun that are running a load of divers from there to the Cozumel reefs? I know its a horrendously long boat ride, but I would imagine that if some op with a decent size boat had the room, and you could arrange it ahead of time, they wouldn't mind picking you up at the pier in Cozumel.... for a few bucks.

Canucklehead:
If you really didn't want to do the Coz/PDC ferry and van/bus/cab thing to Cancun, and you didn't have too much stuff, what about trying to hitch a ride from one of the dive ops from Cancun that are running a load of divers from there to the Cozumel reefs? I know its a horrendously long boat ride, but I would imagine that if some op with a decent size boat had the room, and you could arrange it ahead of time, they wouldn't mind picking you up at the pier in Cozumel.... for a few bucks.

It would be faster to go overland to PdC and take the ferry to Coz. Besides, do you know of dive ops making that run? I know that some do from PdC, but that's not nearly so far as Cancun.

ggunn:
It would be faster to go overland to PdC and take the ferry to Coz. Besides, do you know of dive ops making that run? I know that some do from PdC, but that's not nearly so far as Cancun.

I didn't think there was an issue of time in the original question, but you're right about it taking longer that way (depending on wait times between rides and the boat involved). I just assumed that C2CMarci was just looking for something a little more convenient than the usual way.

As unlikely as it may seem, there are some dive ops that make a run from the Cancun hotels to the reefs off Cozumel. My wife's cousin did that a few years ago. There are a few that run you down by van to PdC first, but he claims it was a boat ride all the way down. As I recall, due to a number of factores, it was a less than satisfactory experience.

Thank you all for your suggestions! I will only be in Cozumel for a few days so I will probably skip Cancun this time around. There is plenty to keep me happy in Cozumel!

Marci :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom