Female first time travelling solo, first dive trip. I think Cozumel is the way to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well in that case we may meet on the boat. I'll be the old guy without a wetsuit & with a camera that has 2 bright orange cup cozy's on the strobes. We'll also be on the same plane heading back to TO.
Great!

I did book my flight, Feb 10-17. Put my deposit down with tres pelicanos too. Does anyone know if its possible to rent 5mm wet suit through them? As far as I know they use 3mm.

You should send them a PM and ask them directly...and indicate what size you need. But 3mm is the rental norm here and I doubt you'll find a 5mm and especially one that fits you. I'd see if you can rent one in Canada (where 7 mm is the norm. :D) so that you can also try it on and ensure proper fit.

I did book my flight, Feb 10-17. Put my deposit down with tres pelicanos too. Does anyone know if its possible to rent 5mm wet suit through them? As far as I know they use 3mm.

The water in Coz hits a low of about 80-82F in the Cozumel "winter". A 3MM full suit is all you will need + a beanie. I'd rather dive a 3MM suit with a beanie any day over a 5MM suit without a beanie. Trust me on this. The beanie will make all the difference and the time to buy it is before you are in Coz as there are no beanies to be found. All you can find in Coz is full, thick hoods that are overkill and are not comfortable to wear (for me at least). This has been my experience when I was looking for a hood/beanie in the past on Coz.

I spoke with Steve this evening and no 5MM's only 3MM. I did find this which appears to be a decent deal, provided they have your size. Oceanic Ultra 5/4mm Jump Suit Men's/Women's another alternative that I have seen on folks that tend to get chilled (like both DM's at 3P) is to use a core warmer such as a Lavacore.
I will be down diving from the 6th - 15th hope to see you on one of the Sharks.

A 3mm full suit should be fine if you can bring a 1 mm hooded vest to wear underneath. I also recommend bringing a windbreaker to wear on the boat. I picked up both of these items at the dive shop across the street from Scuba Club when I was there last time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The water in Coz hits a low of about 80-82F in the Cozumel "winter". A 3MM full suit is all you will need + a beanie. .

It is really variable. I think I have seen 78 degrees in the winter and the missus has a 7 mm suit and still gets cold. 3mm with a vest the rest of the time.

I never wear a suit. You really have to know which side of normal you are on.

The coldest temp I've ever recorded on my computer is 76 F & that was when I passed through an area where fresh water was mixing in with the ocean's salt water. Normally Feb bottom temps run 78-79 F.

When I first dove with Jorge (2008 or 9) he wore a dry suit most days.

Thank you everyone for all the help and support. First day diving I wore two 3mm wet suits and was very comfortable, plus a dorky beanie. Second day I wore a wetsuit and a shorty and was still pretty comfortable.

Well in that case we may meet on the boat. I'll be the old guy without a wetsuit & with a camera that has 2 bright orange cup cozy's on the strobes. We'll also be on the same plane heading back to TO.
cicopo, was a pleasure to meet you on the boat. Thanks to you, and the other Scuba Boarders who were so friendly to me. I had great dives and plan on going back some day. Thanks again.

We missed you. I'll answer your very nice PM later but for now this is the link to my older photo albums & where this years new photos will be added once I get home & edit them.

Picasa Web Albums - Larry

And here's a quick edit I just did of You & Steve.

IMG_2625.v1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom