Federal Police Landed in Cozumel Sunday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1KWIK_69

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Our flight out was delayed by about 40 minutes Sunday because a Mexican Federal police 737 was using our gate to unload a whole bunch of Federalies in full crowd control gear with plexiglass shields. After unloading the cops, the plane did an ubrupt 180 degree turn sending dust and jetwash slamming into at the glass doors of the gate. Even the local airport staff was taking pictures of it all. Does anyone know what this was all about???

I was guessing that with the new head of Cozumel being sworn in a week ago Sunday, maybe Calderone was visiting him with the federal police as his security detail? :idk:

I've read on a couple of sites of random checks for passports & official paperwork for foreigners starting last month, and if you don't have them - being held, questioned, even medical exams performed on the mainland (Cancun & PDC) by the federals. Perhaps the same in Coz?
News From Cozumel

I've read on a couple of sites of random checks for passports & official paperwork for foreigners starting last month, and if you don't have them - being held, questioned, even medical exams performed on the mainland (Cancun & PDC) by the federals. Perhaps the same in Coz?
News From Cozumel

But why the riot gear? They all marched off down the tarmac with shields in hand.

Just great.
We will be landing there in 3 days, this ought to be fun.

Hey, maybe they just want to give me a grand reception when I arrive? :wink:

Maybe the president is at his vacation home. There is always lots of federal police when he is in town.

Just great.
We will be landing there in 3 days, this ought to be fun.

Hey, maybe they just want to give me a grand reception when I arrive? :wink:
I wouldn't worry about it. Cozumel is still the same peacefull place it's always been. It was just an odd show.

My money is on that it was some big wigg paying a visit to the island and they were his or hers security.

The home belongs to the Mexican gov't and who ever is president at the time uses it when visiting Coz. It's just north of town, past where the aircraft are on pedestals, and it's on the water.

Thanks for clarifying who owns the house Larry!! We dive from the marina in the north of town and get to check out the place from the water on our way south. Quite a nice place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom