report: first trip to Cozumel (Feb 17-24)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

torontoscubagirl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello!

I just had my first and definitely not last trip to Cozumel. We stayed at the Allegro Cozumel and I did 11 dives plus a twilight dive at their onsite dive shop - Palancar Divers.

It was fantastic! Some of the shallower areas of the reefs showed some damage, but there was still lots to see. The wall dives, especially Santa Rosa Wall and Columbia deep were spectacular. Huge orange barrel sponges, sea whips and bright purple coral, enormous sea fans, and anemones. I saw nurse sharks pretty much every day -and even got within a couple feet of a 6-7 foot nurse shark resting under a ledge. I could see the pilot fish swimming between its fins. I saw four hawksbill turtles, lots of eels, enormous grouper and some really big stoplight parrot fish too. Many lobster, some really huge. I also saw a few pretty nudibranches and shrimp too that the divemaster pointed out. During the twilight/night dive, I also saw colourful octopi, great big crabs sitting on the coral eating algae, lobsters walking the sea floor, a suprised 2.5 foot porcupine fish - puff up and swim away, and fairy dust (when we turn off the torches, and agitate the water - phosphorescent plankton/creatures glow). I can't wait to go back!

I went with two other girls who weren't divers, but as the dive boat comes back between dives - I met up with them for a hot yummy lunch every dive day between dives. They lazed on the beach and practiced snorkelling in the beach swim area - there were some fish to see which kept them interested. The dive shop was great - all the dive masters were friendly and safety conscious, the equipment was in good condition (I rented all but my mask and snorkel), and it was cheaper than I expected. I bought a ten pack of dives for US$290, and rented my gear for about US $13/day, plus a $2/day park fee. The twilight dive pack consisted of two dives - one just before sunset, and then the twilight dive which starts 5-10 minutes before it gets completely dark. This was a great way to do a first night dive, because you get a chance to get used to the dark and using the torch. It was amazing. The twilight two dive pack were like $80+ . Also, I can't say enough about the divemasters (Gustavo, Edgar, Juan, Joshua, ?) - they really made every effort to point out creatures, keep track of all of us divers (usu about 6 of us), and keep me feeling super safe during my first night dive!

As for the Allegro Cozumel, it was great. There were a lot of kids running around, but the food and prolific blender cocktails were great. The beach was nice, but I would recommend wearing your flip-flops all the time - I found a piece of broken glass on the beach. I figure given the number of drunken tourists (myself included), and the few glass (non-plastic) glasses that make it to the beach - this is not so suprising. So just wear your flip flops - also you can wear them right into the water then use them as hand swim paddles (work great).

One thing I'd caution against is Sunquest/Skyservice - we booked our flight and hotel through them and they were not-good. After buying a direct flight to Cozumel from Toronto, we found out at the airport that we were also going to Cancun?! On our flight back, we were delayed almost three hours - without a single communication from anyone, or a single representative from Sunquest or Skyservice telling us what wa going on. At the airport the television displays said our flight was departing from gate 6, but our boarding pass said gate 1. Then when I finally boarded the flight, they had duplicated my seat number and the stewardess told me to wait at the back of the plane while everyone else boarded - she told me she would TRY to get me a seat. So I stood at the back of the plane, with two other people, wondering if they were going to try and deboard us. With the exception on of one of the stewardesses, the service was definitely not good. As for the Sunquest rep, he was nice enough - but not thoughtful enough to keep the taxis from overcharging us on our excursions. Oh yeah, the speed boat excursion - super fun! Definitely do it if you get the chance. He also kept encouraging me to book my diving through another company, which would be kind enough to come and pick me up and drive me north to downtown to the dive shop - which would then have to drive back south to the reefs. These reefs are much easier to reach from ooh, uhm - the dive shop and dock 30-40 paces from my room, or 60-80 paces from my the breakfast buffet. The Allegro's dive shop is called Palancar, because it is right by Palancar Reef.

Ah, sweet memories of Cozumel. I will definitelly go back, not through Sunquest, but definitely will go back :)

Happy diving !

glad you had a great time,
i think you see now why so many of us love the island... i was in cozumel 3 weeks ago and already am planning my next trip there. great trip report.....

:D diver88

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom