Feb 19 2017 Cozumel diving fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Could it be possible that the DSMB dragged her up too fast to the surface, passing the safety stop due to entangled DSMB line?
The DM deployed the DSMB, showed her how to use the reel, and handed it off to her. The DSMB was already on the surface when she got the reel in her hand and started up. There was no entanglement.

The DM deployed the DSMB, showed her how to use the reel, and handed it off to her. The DSMB was already on the surface when she got the reel in her hand and started up. There was no entanglement.

How about the DSMB on the surface got ran over & entangled by a boat & dragged her up to the surface? That explains the missing DSMB & her being still negatively buoyant.

How about the DSMB on the surface got ran over & entangled by a boat & dragged her up to the surface? That explains the missing DSMB & her being still negatively buoyant.
Occam's razor tells us to choose the simplest solution. If someone expires through drowning, they become very heavy. Merely dying on the surface would explain being negatively buoyant. Letting go of the reel upon death will explain its disappearance. If the body is drifting downward slowly in a current and the DSMB is drifting away in a surface current and breeze, they will very soon be very far apart.

Ok, so in all this, after reading 28 pages, I have this question.
The diver had her weights on when found. She hadn't run out of air, but was unresponsive with her regulator out of her mouth.
The divers that found her couldn't safely get her to the surface. I had read on we that if possible, removing the victim's weights would have made the job easy(ier). But would there have been a risk of an uncontrolled ascent at any point?
What would be the correct procedure, for getting this diver to the surface, given the conditions?
I am looking to learn.
One of my friends actually lost her husband off Long Island in a similar situation. But I think the fellow who found him was able to bring him up and there was a fixed line, not a free ascent.

What would be the correct procedure, for getting this diver to the surface, given the conditions?
I am looking to learn.
One of my friends actually lost her husband off Long Island in a similar situation. But I think the fellow who found him was able to bring him up and there was a fixed line, not a free ascent.

According to my training, the correct procedure would have been to put the regulator in the victim's mouth, drop her weights, and swim her to the surface, inflating her BC if necessary (it shouldn't be once the weights are off). I don't think there would have been too much of a concern about a runaway ascent.

In defense of the divers who found her and were unable to do this, it certainly appears as if she was deceased when they found her, so it's not like they missed an opportunity to help someone in need.

According to my training, the correct procedure would have been to put the regulator in the victim's mouth, drop her weights, and swim her to the surface, inflating her BC if necessary (it shouldn't be once the weights are off). I don't think there would have been too much of a concern about a runaway ascent.

In this particular case the victim's inflator hose fittings apparently didn't match. I suppose one could try to oral-inflate her BC...

In this particular case the victim's inflator hose fittings apparently didn't match. I suppose one could try to oral-inflate her BC...

Usually you'd only inflate at the surface. Since rescue classes typically assume the victim might be OOA, orally inflating the victim's BC at the surface is part of the exercise.

Occam's razor tells us to choose the simplest solution. If someone expires through drowning, they become very heavy. Merely dying on the surface would explain being negatively buoyant. Letting go of the reel upon death will explain its disappearance. If the body is drifting downward slowly in a current and the DSMB is drifting away in a surface current and breeze, they will very soon be very far apart.

Make sense. So, the lesson here is we need to be positively buoyant when we are back on the surface with face above water without finning to avoid taking on water if we pass out.

Make sense. So, the lesson here is we need to be positively buoyant when we are back on the surface with face above water without finning to avoid taking on water if we pass out.
And you avoid tipping forward after going unconscious by....???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom