Feb 19 2017 Cozumel diving fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One step beyond ditching weight, I'd just ditch my whole rig. My biggest fear is somehow my air is off, I don't have air in my wing, and I drop in. :( I take a few breaths after regearing, AND just before entering, and put some air in the wing.

This type of thing is why I do two things religiously every time before I drop off a boat into the water. I pump a couple of puffs on my auto-inflator to make sure it is connected, working, and putting air into my BC, and I take a few breaths in and out through my regulator. If my air were turned off, I would feel it in the couple of breaths after depressurizing the rig inflating the BC. I have caught at least once where I turned my tank on to check pressure, and a DM turned it off when they brought the rig to the back of the boat.

This type of thing is why I do two things religiously every time before I drop off a boat into the water. I pump a couple of puffs on my auto-inflator to make sure it is connected, working, and putting air into my BC, and I take a few breaths in and out through my regulator. If my air were turned off, I would feel it in the couple of breaths after depressurizing the rig inflating the BC. I have caught at least once where I turned my tank on to check pressure, and a DM turned it off when they brought the rig to the back of the boat.
I do this exact same thing religiously.

I have a Dive Alert between my inflator hose and the BC. I test my inflation after turning on my gas. A few times, one of the two connections has been loose. I have jumped a few times with the connection off, it is a nuisance when the system is pressurized. Though I use hoseless AI, I have an SPG and breathe my reg before each dive to make sure my gas is on. In the past, I have jumped a couple of times with my gas off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom