Feature request: GPS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Still works for me. I downloaded a dive on the 1st of October. GPS location worked just fine. I also checked an older dive and still had the option to “Use current GPS location.” My app is up to date according to the App Store.
What version of Subsurface do you have. I checked mine and GPS is gone

Edited to add: just checked Subsurface forum. Dev said that permissions to pull GPS data from users device became too much of a hassle, so he decided to drop that feature. Workaround is to take a photo at dive site with geotagging enabled and use desktop version to add photo to a dive. Subsurface will pull GPS data and apply it to a dive

Not talking about how hot Perdix is when going under, talking how much time it needs to react to temepreature changes.
That is exactly what I'm talking about - but the two are basically the same problem. Note that I have a Perdix and see the exact same problem.

The sensor is in the body of the device. There's no alternate to that. It doesn't matter how close the sensor is to the surface, the temperature of the body is still going to influence the sensor. Even if the sensor stuck out from the body, it would still be influenced by the temperature of the body, and it would mean the sensor could be easily damaged.

In theory, if the sensor was a probe on a wire a few centimetres from the body it would be accurate immediately, but how long would that last?

While I appreciate that getting GPS from a phone will work for a lot of people, it doesn't work for me for the vast majority of my diving.

Most of my dives are shore dives and as I swim out from the entry point, even using the phone to get the spot I jumped in won't be accurate to where I descended, especially with long surface swims.

On my last 3 liveaboard trips, they used tenders to get from the main vessel to the dive sites. Sometimes we'd go more than a kilometre. The tenders were small and crowded and I wouldn't have been happy taking my phone (even in a dry bag) on them.

Interestingly, I have been recording my dive entry points for 15 years and my exit points for over 5 years. By "entry point" I mean the location I left the surface and "exit point" I mean the location I surfaced.

When I first started doing this, for shore dives I would use Google Maps to get an approximate location. For boat dives I had a GPS logger/ When doing dives off a tender, I'd put the GPS logger in a ziplock bag and the tender driver would keep it in his pocket. For a while, I had a (somewhat) waterproof Garmin running watch that I could either attach to the boat somewhere or get the tender driver to wear it. This worked well, but required a bit of manual effort.

For the last 3.5 years I have been using a Garmin Descent Mk1. This works great for all my dives. It is particularly good for the entry point as there's plenty of time to pick up the satellites but not so good on the exit as Garmin don't turn the GPS on until the last second. Exit location can be as much as 50m away - not great to show a car park as the exit point on a shore dive.

Having GPS in the dive device itself provides a much better and easier way to record entry and exit locations.

I know at some point my Garmin will die. If it can't be repaired, I'm not sure I want to get another Garmin. While the Mk1 has been "good", it could have been "great" if Garmin had the slightest clue as to what they are doing.

Does the GPS feature set your entry and exit points and include in the dive log like the Descent?

It is not easy to tell from their website as it looks more like it is used for tracking your position live.
Message BoltSnap on here, he has been diving one of the Ratio GPS models and is very helpful answering questions.

OK, we are talking about different objectives here. When I log GPS for dive site, I'm interested in general location, not "I dropped exactly at this spot", so phone GPS works just fine for me.

That horse has left the barn. Your phone, many cameras, and some other watches will record your GPS position.
Alas you are right. Same with online privacy, cash payments and customer service…:(

Since this is a Shearwater page and there is a GPS request. It would be nice to have it set the time. But not just itself. Let me use the GPS enabled Shearwater to pair with older (non-GPS) Shearwaters. Some of us dive with multiple Shearwaters and they are so good that we don't replace them unless there is a special reason.
Also sync to the local time since a GPS will know the time at any place on earth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom