Feature request: GPS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a GPS will know the time at any place on earth
Well, it knows the UTC time at any place, but not necessarily the local time. GPS doesn't track all the time-zones and daylight-savings changes....

Wonder how much power it will suck from the battery. Hope it can be turned off

Will not please skippers taking you to secret dive sites such as archaeological significant sites where they’re withholding the exact location to protect the site from plundering or disturbance.
Archaeologically significant sites where? In Greece, reported shipwrecks are closed to diving. While it is practically impossible to monitor all sites in the Aegean, as there are so many, more and more will be monitored electronically: Digital Technologies for the Sustainable Development of the Accessible Underwater Cultural Heritage Sites

While in many cases the Greek word for law, "nomos", can be translated as "suggestion", when it comes to ancient artifacts, it is enforced.

Well, it knows the UTC time at any place, but not necessarily the local time. GPS doesn't track all the time-zones and daylight-savings changes....
The GPS in my car knows when I cross a state line (often when on the bridge making the crossing) and changes local time. Which is always just an offset from UTC. And it knows daylight savings, and in my case not to apply daylight savings as AZ does not follow that. But will apply it when in states that do observe it. Not difficult to do at all.

The GPS in my car knows when I cross a state line (often when on the bridge making the crossing) and changes local time. Which is always just an offset from UTC. And it knows daylight savings, and in my case not to apply daylight savings as AZ does not follow that. But will apply it when in states that do observe it. Not difficult to do at all.
Yes, but that calculation is done in the GPS unit in your car; it is not embedded in the signal from the satellites, which is how I interpreted your post #30. I already set my Teric to a time off-set from network time (UTC) so it shows me local time. No new feature is needed, except for being able to receive the GPS signal and decode it to Lat/Long/time.

Yes, but that calculation is done in the GPS unit in your car; it is not embedded in the signal from the satellites, which is how I interpreted your post #30. I already set my Teric to a time off-set from network time (UTC) so it shows me local time. No new feature is needed, except for being able to receive the GPS signal and decode it to Lat/Long/time.
That would be good enough for me. Record UTC is perfect, the offset can always be calculated later since you have Lat/Long.

I already set my Teric to a time off-set from network time (UTC) so it shows me local time.
It's my understanding the Teric can communicate with a smart phone via Blue Tooth. Could it be given a setting so whenever that happens, the Teric changes its time to match that of the smart phone? Phones often update themselves to local time automatically, and are easily reset if cell functions is kept off (e.g.: airplane mode to avoid roaming charges). Most people on a dive trip aren't switching time zones within the trip, so it'd usually be a once and done per trip thing.

It's my understanding the Teric can communicate with a smart phone via Blue Tooth. Could it be given a setting so whenever that happens, the Teric changes its time to match that of the smart phone? Phones often update themselves to local time automatically, and are easily reset if cell functions is kept off (e.g.: airplane mode to avoid roaming charges). Most people on a dive trip aren't switching time zones within the trip, so it'd usually be a once and done per trip thing.
The Teric can be set to obtain a time sync every time it connects to the Cloud. Nothing new needed, works great.

Does the cloud know where the Teric is, to get the local time right?
The Cloud provides UTC. The Teric is manually set to the right time zone.

Back
Top Bottom