Fear of Clearing the Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

first time on here -so sorry if i do this wrong - but all i can say is practice and more practice - have ben diving about 9 months- hate taking my mask of - but every week i go to my local BSAC club and every week i make myself take my mask off 5 times before i do anything else -still dont like it, but i,m getting more tolerant of the experience! Would say - having had a mask strap give way (fortunately in the pool) - its a necessary evil - you never know when you need this skill!

Hi Kirstin,

I have nothing to add to the already excellent advice you have received other than a vote of confidence, you are on the right path, patience and slow relaxed breathing is a big part of what you are getting into, take your time, breath slowly (not through your nose) and you'll be swimming with the fishies having a blast before you know it.

Chris

Kerstin:
Any advice?

I also cannot add to the good advice already posted, but might offer some encouragement. I took my OW class with my girlfriend at the time, and you sound just like her. She also has poor vision and was very stressed about the whole mask clearing thing. At least you have the prescription lenses in your mask. She did not and had to ask our instructor to get really close so that she could see him, with her mask on! She managed to learn the skill even though she, like you, was very stressed about it and struggled mightily with it. You will find that the skills that are the most challenging for you (mine was equalizing) will be the most satisfying when you get the hang them.
Good Luck

I think I'm ready to start this on Tuesday! I'll let you know how it goes (unless, of course, I freak out and have to flee in shame!)...

Tomorrow I'm going to take my snorkel into the shower and begin practicing.

Thanks everyone,
Kerstin

We all have absolute confidence in you! Have fun and let us know how you make out.

Chris

When I did my NAUI OW in 1990, we actually practiced breathing underwater without a mask. During my 'final' Ditch and Dawn, an AI pulled my mask off me when I had 'ditch' my gear. I had to not panic, put my gear back on and look for my mask. I think its actually a very useful skill. You might actually want to practice that (breathing without mask) in confined water. You will know that you'll survive without a mask. This would be contrary to current OW requirements.

Good Luck

I cannot be sure if this has been said by others, i wouldnt say i was frightened of this, but i wasnt sure how confident i was of doing it!

I practiced in the apartment complex pool (is there one near you that you can practice in?) just clearing - using snorkel to breathe, started with a small amount and worked up to full mask retrieval - just so i had the confidence to do it.

I never had trouble opening my eyes underwater before this, i was just not sure about being able to clear the mask. There are many other things that i practiced (without scuba gear) just to get better at during out of school pool time by myself. BTW, i cant fit into a tub and clear my mask, just too small an amount of water/space!!

Hope it all goes well for you tomorrow!!

b18onboost:
Lol you're a wimp. You should consider something else rather than scuba.

Hey why don't you see if you can be a little more discouraging to her? Someday when you're a dad, and your child has a hard time riding a bike, are you going to call him a wimp and tell him to give up? If they don't understand fractions the first time, are you going to tell them to quit school? Some things are worth fighting/working for.

I had a horrible time with mask clearing, in the pool and the open water. I dive with my contacts and I took them out in the pool just so I would not have to worry about them.

I had such a hard time that I spent an entire pool session practicing it with another (female) instructor who my instructor (male as was the rest of the class) had asked to come. I eventually got so I could sit on the bottom of the pool, with no mask, and breathe through my regulator. Getting the mask back on was always my biggest problem. But, it was a great feeling of accomplishment when I finally finished the class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom