Fear of Clearing the Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife had this problem when we got certified. Especially swimming across the pool without her mask. With some help from the instructor and a little practice she finally aced it. Practice will help you feel more comfortable. Good luck!

OK. All you need to do is practice in your bathtub. And if you're afraid of not being able to see in the water, just close your eyes. Then it won't seem so bad, but you'll need to get used to seeing in the water ASAP. Just keep practicing. You'll eventually get it. :azvatar:

Hi Kerstin,

Forget about, trying it in the shower. i always teach my students 1 thing, no matter how it looks, as long as it works for you.
The easiest way is:
just pinch your nose (no other way of breathing than through your mouth)
when you replaced the mask, pinch again

It does not need to look pretty as long as it works,
ciao for now
Berdi

Well, I was foolish and found out the class starts tomorrow so I'm gearing up -- am slightly worried because I have a cold and am thinking that a pool might not be the best thing, but ah well, at least my nose is stuffed up!

Anyhoo, I tried the mask thing in the shower but found I was always getting water up my nose--glad to see that a year without trying this still yields the same results :(

I'm thinking it's also not working because there isn't an airtight seal (normally created by the pressure of the water, no?). I do have a problem w/ opening my eyes underwater. God, I'm such a wuss. I'm hoping that my instructor will help me w/ this. The nose pinching seems an excellent idea. I am not concerned at all w/ how I look. I mean, I am wearing a big thick prescription mask after all! Doesn't get dorkier than that!

So, once again, wish me luck and i'll let you know how tomorrow goes. I refuse to give up!

That's the key, Kerstin. If you get frustrated, just take a deep breath and realize that you will make it because of your attitude, "I refuse to give up". Please let us hear from you, I've been rooting for you all week, hoping you would check in. Take care, and happy bubble-trails to you!
Foo

Of course, make sure the deep breath is through your reg... :eek:)

I have far more respect for people who don't give up when they hit a rocky part of the road.

Kerstin If this is truly something you want to do, ignore negative people and naysayers and give it your best shot.

And yes, always make sure your air is on before that first deep breath.

Just always remember " I have a regulator in my mouth and can't drown with that" It is kinda weird in the beginning but ALWAYS remember that you have an air supply and it doesn't matter if you can't see, just breathe. :confused1

OK folks: good news! Yesterday was my first lesson and guess what? I successfully cleared the mask in the shallow end. Now mind you, I did not have the equipment on and was holding my breath during this exercise, but I feel it's a step in the right direction as I only got water in my nose once. I think the whole thing is mind over matter. There was one person in the class who just couldn't get it and my symphathy was massive. Going slow is definitely the way for me. More relaxed -- there's something about being on vacation that was pressuring me to do it right, like oh there's only 4 days of this trip left and if I can't pick it up, I'll never be able to and how will I enjoy Honduras? So, now I'm in freezing cold Brooklyn and the pressure is most certainly not on. Anyhoo, next week we put on equipment and then clear the mask w/ regulator on. I feel ready!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom